How to change admin after a partner dies

David Lee 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T19:59:55.9866667+00:00

I am trying to access Microsoft 365 on this pc but I cannot because the admin belonged to my partner who passed away. I how do I change admins and update my pin

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,740 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T00:25:33.1633333+00:00

    I’m sorry for your loss. To guide you correctly, could you please clarify whether you can currently sign in to your own Windows account and whether that account is an Administrator or Standard user? Also, when you mention changing the PIN, are you trying to change the PIN for your own Windows account or for your late partner’s account?

    Please also let me know whether the Microsoft 365 subscription is Personal, Family, or a business/work subscription, and whether you already have your own Microsoft account. If possible, check Settings > Accounts > Your info and Settings > Accounts > Other users and tell us what types of accounts are listed, without sharing any email addresses, passwords, PINs, or other personal information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Horace Wiggins 535 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T21:01:13.0633333+00:00

    If you are using the computer, then purchase Microsoft 365 for yourself. No one can legally tell you how to do what you are asking.

    Who paid for having Microsoft 365, you or your late partner? What type of plan did he or she have?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.