Bluetooth audio lag on windows 11: will it ever be fixed?

biker dude 16 Reputation points
2026-10-05T10:23:41.6533333+00:00

Following on from the long thread - (Bluetooth audio lag on windows 10 & 11: will it ever be fixed? A discussion

Hardware/software -

  • OS - Windows 11 24H2
  • Adapter - Realtek, RT8892AE Wifi/BT adapter on a Gigabyte X870e Aorus Elite Wifi
  • Headphones - Bose QC 35II

So a few days ago I noticed my audio over BT was lagging, both when watching streaming (YT etc.) and local video files, I'm guessing a windows update is responsible yet again, but as I don't know when it started, I don't know which update might be responsible etc. So just like the last time I had this I made sure the recording input option was set to mic on the headphones, no change to the audio lag. What's worse it would be in-sync at the start of the video stream/file but then go horribly out of sync. I tried EVERY option suggested from the above thread (see below) and some obvious ones suggested on other internet forums - none of them resolved the audio lag when connected via BT -

  • driver is upto date. I even found a newer 2026 Hp driver, again no change to the lag.
  • removed and re-paired the headphones, no change to the lag
  • Windows services, 'Windows Audio', 'Windows Audio Endpoint Builder' and 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' are all set to automatic.
  • All audio enhancements turned off, tested on & off - no change to the lag.
  • Power settings in device manager disabled.
  • Its not a device range issue, Im sat right next to the PC.
  • The microphone setting in windows was set to the headphones, no change to the lag
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthA2dp\Parameters dword=BluetoothAacEnable 1 - no change to the lag
  • Ive disabling all options but 'audio sink' in the classic devices and printers, no change to the lag
  • disabling hands free device> Device manager>, (all this does it remove the mic device), no change to the lag.
  • Im aware of MagicPods (see m$ store), but I am NOT paying for an app that may or may not fix the issue.
  • I dual boot to Bazzite (v44) and the audio lag issue is not present.

So in the meantime I have bought 2x different inexpensive BT 6.0 dongles (Tp-Link UB6A and some no-name of ebay), the RT adapter on;ly supports 5.4. And I say this because that RT adapter has been working fine (as in no lag) since March of last year when I made sure the mic on the Bose's was set as default input, when they were connected.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Domic Vo 34,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T11:00:15.0333333+00:00

    Hello,

    Based on what you've described, I do not believe this is a Bose headset issue. The fact that the same Bose QC35 II works correctly under Bazzite/Linux and that the audio starts in sync before gradually drifting out of sync points more toward a Windows Bluetooth stack, Bluetooth driver, or audio pipeline problem than a hardware fault.

    The most useful troubleshooting step at this point is to determine whether the issue follows the Bluetooth controller or the Windows installation. Since you've already ordered the TP-Link UB6A, I would test it after completely disabling the Realtek Bluetooth adapter in Device Manager, not merely leaving both adapters installed. If the lag disappears with the alternate Bluetooth chipset, that strongly implicates the Realtek Bluetooth driver stack or its interaction with Windows 11 24H2.

    I would also check whether the problem started after the installation of Windows 11 24H2 itself or after a cumulative update. The symptom of audio progressively falling behind video rather than having a fixed delay often indicates timestamp synchronization issues, buffer management problems, or a regression in the Bluetooth audio stack. Since the issue is present across YouTube and local media players, the common denominator is Windows audio over A2DP rather than any specific application.

    Another area worth checking is the active codec. The Bose QC35 II primarily uses SBC and AAC depending on the Bluetooth stack. You already tested the BluetoothAacEnable registry setting, but Windows may still be negotiating a different codec path after recent updates. Capturing a Bluetooth ETW trace with Bluetooth and Audio providers enabled would provide definitive evidence, although that is generally more work than most users want to invest.

    Given that you've already tested re-pairing, audio enhancements, Hands-Free Telephony, power management, alternate drivers, and registry settings, and considering the issue does not occur under Linux, I would focus almost entirely on either a Windows 11 24H2 regression or the Realtek Bluetooth implementation on the RTL8922AE platform.

    If the lag remains when using the TP-Link USB Bluetooth adapter with the onboard Realtek Bluetooth disabled, then the evidence shifts heavily toward a Windows audio stack issue introduced by a recent Windows update. In that case, there is unfortunately little that can be corrected locally beyond testing with a newer cumulative update or waiting for Microsoft and the hardware vendor to address the regression.

    I hope you've found something useful here. If it helps you get more insight into the issue, it's appreciated to accept the answer. Should you have more questions, feel free to leave a message. Have a nice day!

    Domic Vo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.