Mouse clicks return me to the desktop, minimizing the game/web browser / my documents / settings / ect ect

David B 0 Reputation points
2026-09-27T09:40:49.59+00:00

Hi good day to you
As of 2 weeks ago after the latest Windows update my pc clicks seem to be randomly returning me to desktop.
It happens during games and when I'm using the control panel / looking through my files and when using a web browser.

I have all updated drivers for the PC & Mouse and keyboard.

Windows 11

My PC settings have turned off the click and shake setting

My virtual Desktop is off
I have the newest updated windows installed
There are no mouse hotkeys set up and certainly no keyboard hotkeys set up to return to desktop

This happens seemingly randomly, as I have checked by clicking once, twice , three times or in multiple clicks.
I've tried clicking when the mouse is stationary and when it's moving to see if there is a pattern.

But it does seem to be random, I'm at a loss of how to stop it.
(* Unfortunately I am unable to revert my PC back to 2 weeks ago as I did not have the system restore set up (* It is now *)

I'm baffled as to the why this is happening, my mouse doesn't have any side buttons and there isn't an issue with background programmes as I've check task manager and nothing stands out.

.... could it be a malware issue?
If so then why would it effect various apps and programmes??
I'm hoping this is an easy fix
Please help

Windows for home | Other | Search, touch, and mouse
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lychee-Ng 28,915 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-28T11:19:47.2433333+00:00

    I can see why this is confusing, David B,

    What you describe sounds like Windows is unexpectedly showing/focusing the desktop. Since it happens with multiple applications, this might link to hardware or input issue. If you have another mouse, it'd be best to test:

    • Temporarily disconnect your current mouse and use a different mouse.
    • If the problem stops, that points toward the mouse or its input.
    • If it still happens, the problem is with the system itself.

    Task Manager not showing anything unusual does not completely rule out a background program or service. Besides the checks above, I have a few other suggestions here that you should consider:

    1 - Confirm whether this is specific to your current Windows profile

    • Open Settings > Accounts > create a temporary local account
    • Sign out of your current one and sign into the new profile
    • Use your mouse and see if the behavior repeats there.

    2 - Reconfirm no hotkeys happen

    • Press Win + Ctrl + O to turn on the on-screen keyboard
    • If it's not enabled, open Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard > turn it on there
    • Use your mouse normally and confirm no keys were registered when the behavior appears.

    3 - Turn off the Show Desktop button (if it's enabled)

    • Open Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behaviors
    • Uncheck Select the far corner of the taskbar to show the desktop

    4 - Rule out third-party interventions

    • Press Win + R > type msconfig > press Enter 
    • Go to Services > Check Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all 
    • Go to Startup to open Task Manager > Disable all items > Restart your PC. 

    Use the computer normally and see whether a click still suddenly sends you to the desktop. If the problem is gone, it's likely that one of the disabled was the cause. You may need to manually enable them half-by-half to identify the offender, then consider removing or disabling it. 

    Disclaimer: A "clean boot" starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. It helps to determine whether a background service is interfering with your game or program and to isolate the cause of a problem. They might look complicated at first glance but can help you get back on track. To avoid any trouble, please follow them in order and step-by-step. Refer to How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Microsoft Support

    5 - Repair the Windows system files

    • Open Command Prompt as Administrator
    • Run dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • When it finishes, run sfc /scannow > restart your PC.

    In the meantime, I can suggest checks for malware too, but I can't say for sure it's a cause yet. You can open Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Scan options, and run a Full scan.

    Also, there is one detail that I'm not entirely certain: if you're opening multiple applications/services, does the desktop appear over them, or only one current window minimized to the taskbar?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.