I can not Launch Corel VideoStudio 2023

Rudolf Beim 15 Reputation points
2026-09-02T18:14:41.21+00:00

Initially I have some problems with the program. Corel suggested to reinstall it witch I did. Now I can't even launch the program.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps

8 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Carl-L 23,095 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-05T06:58:47.47+00:00

    Hello Rudolf Beim,

    Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

    If the issue come directly from the app malfunctioning, then you should contact the app developer about the issue with their software.

    However, I'd like to make sure what exactly cause the app to not open. Before we proceed further, can you tell me how to apps behave when you try to open it? Additionally, can you please go to Event Viewer > Application to see if the system register log about the apps being opened?

    I'm waiting for your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Christopher Cole 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-12T03:54:29.0833333+00:00

    I followed these instructions below, which I got from Chrome's AI search. This fixed the Video Studio problem for me, for now at least.

    Option 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

    Sometimes Windows prevents uninstallation because the update files are currently active and locked by the operating system.

    1. Hold down the Shift key while clicking Restart in your Windows Start Menu. This boots you into the blue Advanced Startup screen.
    2. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Uninstall Updates.
    3. Choose Uninstall latest quality update. If it fails or still blocks you, select Command Prompt from that same Advanced Options menu.
    4. In the command prompt, type wusa /uninstall /kb:5120998 and press Enter to see if the standalone installer tool can remove it outside the main OS window.

    Prevent it from Reinstalling

    Once you successfully remove the update, you must block Windows from immediately downloading it again:

    1. Go to Settings > Windows Update.
    2. Turn OFF the toggle that says "Get the latest updates as soon as they're available". This stops optional, unstable "Preview" updates from forcing themselves onto your PC.
    3. You can also click Pause updates for 1 week to give Microsoft time to patch the bug before your system scans for updates again. [1, 2, 3]

    --In my case I paused updates for 3 weeks. Hopefully Microsoft fixes the issue by the time this update reinstalls.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Steven Tiberius 6 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T17:52:11.38+00:00

    After spending an entire day researching this and working with various AI systems here is what finally worked for me: renaming the uvDV.dll file in the Video Studio program directory. According to Gemini, "(This disables a legacy DV capture module that frequently causes startup threads to hang indefinitely on modern systems)." Launching consistently now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.

  4. Mohammad AL Najjar 15 Reputation points
    2026-09-23T08:12:27.6166667+00:00

    Screenshot 2026-09-23 110711

    Today, we got this update.

    Still, it didn't fix our problem; the issue is persistent.

    Microsoft, PLEASE HELP!

    My projects and work have been broken for over two weeks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  5. Iain Hunneybell 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T13:58:54.79+00:00

    Okay, I appear to have a workaround:

    1. Rename <uvDV.dll> as @Steven Tiberius mentions
    2. Start VS23
    3. With VS23 running, rename <uvDV.dll> back to its correct name
    4. Now carry on editing. It appears stable

    Of note, my system doesn't and didn't have KB5120998 and yet I hit the VS23 load issue. The system also isn't running KB5124008 or KB5124010 so by my experience, these aren't involved in this issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.