Alternative to Microsoft Reader

ADV-8837 60 Reputation points
2025-12-23T04:10:10.8066667+00:00

Microsoft had an application Microsoft Reader in the Microsoft Store for reading PDF, XPS and TIFF files. That application no longer works on Windows 11. It points to Microsoft Edge in its place. I do not want to use Microsoft Edge for reading PDFs or viewing TIFF files or filling up PDF forms. The reasons are two fold, firstly Edge consumes heck of power and ram. Secondly, I do not want a AI data collection to harvest what I am reading, when I am reading, etc.

Is there an alternative light weight app, which can do what Microsoft Reader is able to do? Without any significant power drain or RAM consumption or harvest/collect data?

I had Adobe Acrobat Reader but by God is it one bulky piece of software. With a buggy update mechanism and multiple services that are running in the background. Why would reading of a PDF entail a background service and 4 background processes?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bulldog 4,765 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T17:15:29.0266667+00:00

    There are actually lots of free PDF readers, which is not really a surprise since Adobe made PDF an open standard that anyone can use. To name just a few: Foxit Reader, Nitro Reader, Sumatra PDF, Lumin PDF, Cute PDF and many more that you can discover by searching the internet with this search term: free PDF reader for Windows. Most of these will install a free PDF 'printer' which is actually a way to save what you see on your screen as a PDF.

    I don't mean to be a pain in the you-know-where, but AI actually doesn't harvest what you see in another app, unless you ask it to do that. But that's a different question for another day. ((;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Mzo Ramirez 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T14:21:38.88+00:00

    Well just recently, I made a reader app supporting over 30 file types and is a huge recreation to Microsoft reader! I know this is late based on postdate, but I hope someone sees this! well, I can't publish on store or give the code for it because it currently uses Microsoft's reader icon, I'll give the link when Microsoft accepts it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Alexandr S 106.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-12-23T08:02:16.8533333+00:00

    Hello.

    I'm a regular user, just like you. In my personal opinion, a good alternative for reading PDF is the Sumatra PDF Reader program**: https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

    **Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.