The “”find” function suddenly isn’t working in Word for iPad

Cindy Milstein 0 Reputation points
2025-10-15T11:18:46.2733333+00:00

I copyedit books for a living, and have long used Word. The “find” function has always worked; I use the shortcut cmd+F. But suddenly, two or three days ago, it stopped working completely. I can’t search documents—and thus can’t do my paid work. I use an iPad and just updated to the latest software; I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Word; I’ve powered down my computer; etc. Nothing has fixed it. Help?!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | iOS

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-10-16T13:19:05.3833333+00:00

    Thanks for sharing that, Cindy. I totally get how frustrating this is. The best move is to keep sending feedback to Microsoft and wait for an official fix.

    All the best
    Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Anonymous
    2025-10-15T13:43:46.8833333+00:00

    Hi Cindy Milstein, thank you for sharing your situation. Some users have reported that the “Find” function in Word for iPad stopped working after the latest app or iOS update. This includes both the cmd+F shortcut and the search icon, which now fail to respond or close without results.

    First, this appears to be a bug introduced in the latest Word update for iPadOS 18.6. Microsoft is aware of the issue, and several users have already submitted feedback through the app. I recommend doing the same via Help > Feedback in Word to help prioritize a fix.

    Second, while there’s no official workaround yet, some users have had limited success by:

    Switching to the on-screen keyboard instead of a physical one.

    Disabling dark mode, which has interfered with search bars in other parts of Word.

    Using the web version of Word via Safari or another browser temporarily.

    Lastly, keep an eye out for updates in the App Store. Microsoft may release a patch soon to restore full functionality.

    If you found the response helpful feel free to mark my answer as helpful/accepted, it might make it easier for others to find the solution too.

    Best,
    Carl

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.