Visio 2013 Professional - I have product key that is accepted, but system still thinks product needs to be activated.

Anonymous
2014-03-15T19:51:25+00:00

I had Office 365 installed, tried to install Visio 2013 Professional using a product key. I tried providing the product key from the activation dialog by clicking the "Enter product key instead" link. The enter your product key dialog is shown and it accepts the product key (green check mark). After the activation, Visio still thinks it needs to be activated. I am forced to entry the product key every time the product is started. I also tried going to "Programs and Features", selected Change and then tried to enter product key there. That also appears to work, but it does not.

I read one post that said try to uninstall and re-install. I tried that with same results.

I then tried to uninstall Office 365 and Visio and restarted PC and then tried re-installing only Visio. Unfortunately the same result. This all started a few weeks ago when my Window 8.1 registry got hosed due to permission problems. I ended up re-installing Windows 8.1 and all my software. Everything but the Visio / Office software has gone well. I have wasted days trying to get all this stuff to work again.....

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help trying to figure this out....

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T17:28:20+00:00

    It does not give me a choice to activate by phone. I can either activate using my Microsoft account or a product key. I have a Microsoft account for many things - TFS, Visual Studio, Azure and previously Office 365.....

    I uninstalled office 365 thinking that Visio was getting confused due to office 365 required activation using my Microsoft Account. But Visio 2013 is a product that I purchased and have a product key.

    The 2nd link discussesissues where the product key was not recognized. My product key is recognized.

    The green check box is not there until you enter a valid product key....

    Then after clicking "Install" you get the typical dialog asking: "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?". I click "Yes" - but what ever is suppose to change in the registry must not be getting changed, since Visio still thinks Activation is required.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T18:34:13+00:00

    I spoke to a Microsoft representative and they indicated that, "Upon checking your key, it shows that this is blocked by the activation and our validation system." They said I need to contact my seller and get a new key. But this was the key that I used originally when I installed the software. I had to re-install Windows 8.1 due to registry problems and now my old software cannot be activated.

    I am very unhappy with that result, but I guess there is not much I can do about it. Before rebuilding my PC by re-installing Windows 8.1, I used a utility from Belarc System Management to dump out all the information about my software licenses, so I know that I had the correct key. All my other products re-installed just fine.....

    Very frustrated when you purchase something and then cannot use it. Argghhhh!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T02:33:52+00:00

    Hi,

    Do you try to activate Visio by using phone?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

    Here is a similar issue and a lot of methods, we can refer to:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-office_install/product-key-is-correct-but-after-installing/9fe85268-c77c-4790-b834-8b8a11cf933d

    I hope it's helpful.

    Regards,

    George Zhao

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-26T16:08:36+00:00

    I did get another key and installed correctly, just not the same key as previous. Case closed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments