Window 11 will not start up.

Dr Clancey 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T19:28:46.8766667+00:00

This summer I got a new DELL Tower PC with Windows 11.. Initially performed satisfactorily, then started having trouble starting up Windows, requiring 3-4 attempts. Had several sessions on the phone with MSFT Techs. Each resulted in a temporary fix. So I tried following your on screen prompts, and got a green screen allowing me to EXIT and continue to Windows. That worked for a while; but has now failed. So I then followed the prompts to trouble shoot and chose advanced solutions. Now I'm stuck with a black screen that keeps repeating the same message: "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart." I cannot escape that page and cannot restart.. Shut down, start up, and the same black page keeps repeating.

Remote assist will not work, since I can't start Windows. Can somebody call me on the phone and walk me thru a fix ?

Gary Clancey

PHONE NUMBER DELETED BY MODERATOR

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. GTS-NJ 1,085 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T20:17:20.5766667+00:00

    This is a peer support group and we will not call you. I removed your phone number for your protection as it is an invitation to scammers or other spam calls.

    It would be helpful if you could tell us what the fixes MSFT Techs helped you apply were since you said they were at least temporarily helpful. I agree with the other respondent who suggested calling Dell support. If they don't help or you want to try other things first -

    Try this

    That message is a Windows crash screen, and the PC is likely stuck in a restart loop. You can force it off: hold the power button for about 10 seconds.

    Hold the power switch down to shut down completely.

    1. Turn it on. When the Dell or Windows logo appears—or the spinning dots start—hold the power button until it shuts off.
    2. Repeat that once.
    3. Turn it on a third time and let it continue. Windows should show Automatic Repair; choose Advanced options.
    4. First try Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair. If that doesn’t help, go back and choose Startup Settings > Restart, then press 4 for Safe Mode.

    If you can get into safe mode I suggest you disable fast start and see of that helps.

    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 11

    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-fast-startup-in-windows-11.1212/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Horace Wiggins 535 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T19:55:43.3433333+00:00

    @Dr Clancey

    Since you bought a brand-new Dell Computer this past summer, it should still be under warranty. Do you have and use Dell Support Assist?

    https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/support-assist/SupportAssist-for-Home

    I have three Dell computers and use Support Assist on all of them.

    Dell is very good about providing updates for their computers. Do you install the updates when they are provided?

    Have you checked with the Dell Community and those who use the same computer as you have?

    https://www.dell.com/community/en/categories/dell-community?profile.language=en&~ck=mn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.