My Authenticator App on both phone and Chrome booked locked in an 8 digit microsoft one time password

Paul Boxwell 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T13:14:36.9233333+00:00

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get authenticator working as I need it for afinancial institution. I end up in either endless loops of sign in to my microsoft account and change password or the 8 digit one time password code

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emily T 740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T17:38:40.58+00:00

    Hi @Paul Boxwell

    From what you've described, it sounds like your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) setup may need to be reset. 

    Because you're using a work or school account, the MFA settings are managed by your university's IT administrator. Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be reset from the user side.

    I'd recommend reaching out to your university's IT administrator and explaining that you're unable to sign in because you're stuck between Microsoft Teams and the Microsoft Authenticator app and are no longer receiving authentication prompts or codes.

    You can ask your IT administrator to reset your MFA or remove your current Microsoft Authenticator registration so you can register it again.

    You may also want to share the following Microsoft article with them: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID |…

    If you are unsure who your IT administrator is, you can refer to this official Microsoft guide for assistance: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support   
    User's image

    Once your IT administrator resets your MFA registration, you should be able to sign in again and go through the Microsoft Authenticator setup process from the beginning, including scanning a new QR code on your device.

    If you receive any updates from your IT team or run into any issues along the way, feel free to reply back with more details and I'll be happy to help further.
    I hope this points you in the right direction.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.