Read Only problem preventing me from editing text in Word and PPt. How can I stop this?

David Simon 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T13:11:58.93+00:00

I keep having my files that I am working on suddenly say 'read only'. After this I cannot edit the file whether I am using Word or PPt. How can I stop this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. TaoLi 115K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T13:49:19.8733333+00:00

    Hi,

    Are these files stored in OneDrive, iCloud, or directly on your Mac? Please also share the exact read-only message and whether you can edit a new blank document. This will help distinguish a file issue from an Office activation issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.