Teams chat have suddenly disappeared

Janet Kelsey 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T09:01:28.6+00:00

I transferred all my skype chat etc. into Teams as instructed, which worked well until yesterday, now my chats and contacts have disappeared and I'm getting information about signing me up and it appears Teams is connected to Microsoft 365 which I don't want. I have Office 2013 because I have older Office files which are essential to be able to open and only 2013 on Windows 10 will do that.

How can I get my Teams chats etc. back. They include conversations with my son who developed the website for our club. He has passed away and I need to refer to chats because there is information about the club website which I need to operate it.

Janet Kelsey

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams Free | Chats

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ruwim.B 6,995 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T11:21:38.7933333+00:00

    Teams Free does not require any Microsoft 365 subscription. You should be able to sign in to Teams with a personal Microsoft account or Skype Name. However, if your Skype Name starts with the "live:" prefix, then this ID cannot be used as Login ID for Teams.

    Uninstall any currently installed Teams application.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/teams/troubleshooting/uninstall-microsoft-teams

    Install the latest Teams app using this installation site.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app

    Sign in to Teams with exactly the same account as you have used with Skype.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Ruwim.B 6,995 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T09:54:37.5166667+00:00

    What exactly is the version of Windows 10 installation you are on now?

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/experience/find-information-about-your-windows-device

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.