Updated BIOS and Windows 11 deactivated

windows user 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T01:49:23.32+00:00

Today I updated my BIOS and as a result my Windows 11 became deactivated. I logged into my Microsoft account online and under devices I observed the same computer was listed twice with the same motherboard name. I tried to get ahold of support and was directed to chat with someone from Microsoft who stated that my key is now "blocked" and that could occur from "piracy". However, I'm suspecting Microsoft flagged this BIOS update as new hardware and blocked the key due to this. If my key really was compromised, I could understand having to buy a new one, but I think this all came from updating my BIOS. If I'm left to buy a new key, will I have to do this all over again when I update my BIOS in the future?

Does Microsoft even have human customer support anymore? I remember calling them in the past and getting stuff like this resolved within minutes. Now all I get are AI robots that read you URLs to unhelpful webpages.

Someone, please save me from this hell.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ivan B 125K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T02:22:52.4466667+00:00

    Hi,

    Just to be sure: did you purchase the key you were using separately, or did the activation come with the computer?

    Was it a physical or digital key? And if it was a purchased key, was the original key for Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.