Will participants in breakout rooms see what is happening in the main meeting?

OZI 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T14:28:19.26+00:00

I am trying to run a meeting but since I don't have webinar setting like zoom on teams, I want to use breakout rooms to separate the audience from the meeting. I do not want the audience interrupting the meeting in anyway but I want them to see what is happening. How can I make that happen?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Demi Nguyen 2,500 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T14:40:38.2533333+00:00

    Hello OZI,

    Thank you for explaining what you would like to achieve.

    Breakout rooms would not be suitable for this purpose. When participants enter a breakout room, they join a separate meeting space with its own audio, video, and chat. They will not continue to see or hear what is happening in the main meeting until the breakout rooms are closed and everyone returns.

    Instead, I recommend keeping everyone in the main meeting and configuring the audience as Attendees. In the meeting options, set "Who can present" to Specific people or Only organizers and co-organizers, then turn off "Allow mic for attendees" and "Allow camera for attendees".

    This allows the audience to continue watching and listening to the main meeting while preventing attendees from turning on their microphones or cameras and interrupting the presentation. The organizer can still allow an individual attendee to speak later if needed.

    If the option is available in your meeting, you can also enable Manage what attendees see. This gives you additional control over which presenters and shared content appear on the attendees’ screens.

    For reference:

    Manage attendee audio and video permissions in Microsoft Teams meetings

    Manage what attendees see in Microsoft Teams

    I hope this setup provides the controlled, one-way meeting experience you need.

    Kind regards,

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.