Begging for help with Outlook Classic send/receive issues

Linda Jaros 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T14:22:43.5633333+00:00

I have been trying to get help with Outlook Classic send/receive issues periodically for 2 years. One time about a year ago a rep remoted in and set up a new profile but the problem is not resolved. I've been sent multiple links and sets of instructions on how to try to fix this problem myself. I'm not a Microsoft technician, I'm a customer. I don't know what I'm doing with this and the steps sent cannot be followed because the flow and steps described in the instructions are not what actually appears as the steps are followed. I provide customer service and have for almost 40 years. THIS IS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emma1-N 13,510 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T23:35:53.4233333+00:00

    Welcome Linda Jaros,

    I completely understand your frustration, especially since you have already spent considerable time troubleshooting this and a new Outlook profile did not resolve it. Let’s avoid repeating that step and try to identify exactly where the send/receive process is failing.

    Before we continue, could you confirm whether the email account in Outlook is a personal account (such as Outlook.com/Hotmail) or a work/business account?

    If it is a personal account, please try these checks:

    Step 1: Check Outlook's connection status

    • Open Outlook Classic and look at the bottom of the Outlook window.
      • Please tell me whether it says Connected, Disconnected, Working Offline, or Trying to connect.

    Step 2: Make sure Outlook is not working offline

    • Select the Send/Receive tab.
    • Under Preferences, check Work Offline.
    • If Outlook is offline, select Work Offline once to reconnect, then select Send/Receive All Folders.

    Step 3: Check the Outbox

    • Open the Outbox folder.
    • Check whether any message is stuck there, particularly one containing a large attachment.
    • If there is one, please let me know rather than deleting anything yet.

    Step 4: Run Microsoft's Classic Outlook connectivity troubleshooter

    • Open the Windows "Get Help" app.
    • Search for Outlook connectivity troubleshooter.
    • Follow the instructions shown and let me know the result it provides.

    Looking forward to your update.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.