My touchscreen won't work anymore.

Kadre 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T03:08:34.6733333+00:00

Randomly one day my touchscreen stopped functioning even though I never disabled it. I followed a guide and eventually found the HID-compliant touch screen as a hidden device, there's two of them for some reason. I can't enable them. When I try to update them nothing happens. I would click update device, then browse my computer for drivers, then the ''Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer''. Then I would click on HID-compliant touch screen then next. I've done this for the both of them and nothing seems to work. I went back on device manager and clicked on properties and apparently it's been disconnected. I'm really trying to be as detailed as possible because I'm starting to miss this feature, I just started to get a hang of it and it's been so useful for classes. Please help me.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Francisco Montilla 31,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T03:43:50.66+00:00

    Hello,

    When a built-in device shows up as a hidden device in Device Manager and its status says disconnected it means Windows is acting like someone physically unplugged it from the motherboard. Usually this points to the main chipset driver crashing so Windows can no longer see the touch hardware, but it can also be a hardware problem like a loose ribbon cable inside the hinge of the laptop.

    I need to check if your computer manufacturer has a specific chipset driver or serial IO driver that can wake that bus back up.

    • What is the exact brand and model number of your laptop? Let me know so I can check exactly what drivers we need to get Windows talking to the screen again.
    • Did you happen to notice if your system installed any major updates right before this started happening?

    I'll be here!

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-08T03:08:52.4966667+00:00

    Since HID-compliant touch screen appears as a hidden device and shows as disconnected, start with the Windows recovery steps that can re-detect and reinstall the touch hardware.

    1. Restart the PC. A restart is the first recommended step for an unresponsive touchscreen in Windows 11.
    2. Check Windows Update, including optional updates. In Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options:
      • Make sure Receive updates for other Microsoft products is On.
      • Under Additional options, select Optional updates.
      • Install all optional updates.
      • Go back to Windows Update and select Check for updates.
      • Install all available updates, then restart.
    3. Disable and re-enable the touchscreen device in Device Manager.
      • Right-click Start > Device Manager.
      • Expand Human Interface Devices.
      • Right-click HID-compliant touch screen and select Enable device or Disable device as available.
      • If there are multiple HID-compliant touch screen entries, repeat for each one.
    4. Reinstall the touchscreen driver. This is the next supported step when touch still does not work.
      • In Device Manager, expand Human Interface Devices.
      • Right-click HID-compliant touch screen > Uninstall device > Uninstall.
      • If there are two HID-compliant touch screen drivers, uninstall both.
      • Then select Action > Scan for hardware changes.
      • Restart the PC if needed.
      • When connected to the internet, Windows should automatically download and install the touchscreen driver again.
    5. If the touch driver is missing, manually install device drivers/firmware from the device manufacturer. Microsoft’s Surface guidance states that when the touch driver or firmware is missing from Device Manager, the next step is to manually install drivers and firmware. For non-Surface Windows devices, use the PC manufacturer’s official driver package for the exact model.
    6. If touch still does not return, reset the PC. Reset is a later recovery step after driver reinstall and updates have failed.

    If the device is a Surface Pro X, do not uninstall touchscreen drivers. On that model, uninstalling drivers requires a full system reset to restore them.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.