why does outlook mark READ emails and UNREAD after I read and delete them

nw 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T20:41:22.3033333+00:00

Email comes in.

I read it.

I delete it.

Now it is UNREAD in the DELETE folder.

No. It is read.

why does outlook mark READ emails and UNREAD after I read and delete them?

how do I get outlook to stop marking READ emails as UNREAD after I read and delete them?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Francisco Montilla 31,080 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T21:17:13.5633333+00:00

    Hello,

    To figure out why this is happening I need to know which version of Outlook you are using right now. Are you on the classic desktop program, the New Outlook app, the web version, or the mobile app?

    This usually happens if you are looking at emails in the reading pane and your software is set to mark emails as read only after a few seconds. If you read it fast and hit delete before that exact timer runs out, it throws the email into the trash folder while it is still technically flagged as unread by the system.

    Let me know what version of Outlook you are on so I can point you to the right settings menu to check and turn that delay off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.