How can I make Excel push something like "10.07.26" to the right side of a cell

PR 40 Reputation points
2026-10-07T20:37:28.7966667+00:00

When I enter a date like "October 7, 2026," Excel pushes it to the right side of a cell. But when I do it quick, like "10.07.26", it stays on the left side.

How can I get Excel to push those numerical dates to the right? Both in a current workbook, and as default behavior for new ones created.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. PR 40 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T21:20:17.0466667+00:00

    Thanks Emily.

    I was hitting Ctrl+F1, not Ctrl+1.

    OK when I see that popup window, I can make the changes. But after making those changes, the numbers shift back to the left. In other words, AI answer (2) makes the change that I want; but AI answer (3) reverts it to how it was before. Should I just ignore (3)? I would still need to make this default behavior from here on out. Also, if there was a way to get excel to translate "10.7.26" to Oct-7-2026, that would be fine, too. But that is secondary to getting dates to the right side of the cell.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. EmilyS726 271.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T21:12:33.34+00:00

    After you pressed Ctrl+1, you should see a pop up like this.. It should already default to Number tab.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. PR 40 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T20:43:34.16+00:00

    The first part of the AI answer solved the problem with a single, pre-existing date format---it pushed them to the right side, and even converted them (which I didn't ask for) to something like 07 Oct 2026. But the second part was off:

    After Excel recognizes the value as a true date, apply the display format wanted:

    • Select the cells.
    • Press Ctrl+1.
    • On the Number tab, select Custom.
    • In Type, enter a date format such as dd.mm.yy if that matches the required display.

    Where is this Number tab?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. AI answer

    2026-10-07T20:37:41.7833333+00:00

    If 10.07.26 stays left-aligned, Excel is treating it as text, not a real date. Real dates are recognized as date values and can then be formatted and used in calculations.

    To make Excel recognize and right-align dates:

    1. Enter dates using a format Excel recognizes for the current Windows regional date settings, such as:
      • 9/5/2002
      • 5-Sep-2002
    2. If the date is already in cells as text, convert it:
      • Select the column.
      • Go to Data > Text to Columns.
      • Select Next twice.
      • In step 3, under Column data format, select Date.
      • Choose the matching date format and select Finish.
    3. After Excel recognizes the value as a true date, apply the display format wanted:
      • Select the cells.
      • Press Ctrl+1.
      • On the Number tab, select Custom.
      • In Type, enter a date format such as dd.mm.yy if that matches the required display.

    For new workbooks, Excel’s default date recognition depends on the computer’s Regional and Language Options date settings. Dates entered in a format that does not match that system may be treated as text instead of dates. To have this work by default in new workbooks, use a date entry pattern that matches the Windows regional date system, or change the computer’s date settings so that the typed pattern matches the system date format.

    If cells show ##### after formatting, widen the column.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.