With OneDrive, your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders will merge; you'll see the same files on both machines, except for desktop apps. If you like that, you're good to go. If not, you'll need to change your OneDrive backup preferences in the Manage Backup settings.
Share files using OneDrive
I have a PC and a MS Surface Book, both running Windows 11 and within about 15 feet of each other. I want to start sharing files between the computers. Is that done with OneDrive?
Thanks for your help,
PR
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
2 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
SD - IA 180.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-07T17:24:51.5333333+00:00 Hi,
OneDrive isn't a good approach if they are on the same WiFi network or Ethernet.
Onedrive helps If you want the same files available on both computers and automatically synchronized, Sign in to OneDrive with the same Microsoft account on both Windows 11 devices. Files placed in the OneDrive folder will sync between them automatically. More details here.
If you simply want to send files directly between the two computers, you don't need OneDrive. Windows 11 has Nearby sharing, which can transfer files between nearby PCs using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Since the computers are only about 15 feet apart, this is a good option.
The best way is file sharing, though, which I talked about initially:
I hope this information helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Wishing you good luck!