Unable to access Teams Essentials tenant or cancel subscription (AADSTS50020)

2026-10-07T09:39:13.02+00:00

Organisation: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

Tenant: EdgeStrategicMarketingLtd.onmicrosoft.com

Tenant ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]

Subscription: Microsoft Teams Essentials

Purchase date: August 2023

I am still being charged monthly (most recent charge 5 October 2026).

The original subscription confirmation was sent to [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@edgemarketing.co.uk.

When attempting to access the Microsoft 365 Admin Centre I receive "Login is not supported for consumer users without business presence".

When attempting to access Microsoft account and organisation pages I receive AADSTS50020 stating that [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@edgemarketing.co.uk is a personal Microsoft account.

I need assistance restoring administrative access or cancelling the subscription.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Edge Strategic Marketing Limited 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T08:21:46.26+00:00

    Julie, hopefully you received my answers to your questions above. Please can you now help me to resolve this problem. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Julie Huynh 3,850 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T15:42:53.31+00:00

    Dear @Edge Strategic Marketing Limited,

    Thank you for taking the time to provide those details, and I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far.

    Based on your responses, I have a possible explanation for what may be happening.

    Although the @edgemarketing.co.uk account was used to purchase the Teams Essentials subscription and receive the confirmation email, it appears that Microsoft is currently recognizing that account as a personal Microsoft account rather than an account that exists within the EdgeStrategicMarketingLtd.onmicrosoft.com tenant.

    For Microsoft 365 business subscriptions, administrative access is typically performed using an account that exists within the tenant itself, often ending in .onmicrosoft.com.

    If the custom domain (edgemarketing.co.uk) was never linked to the tenant or no longer has an associated organizational user account within the tenant, attempting to sign in with the @edgemarketing.co.uk account can result in the AADSTS50020 error and the "Login is not supported for consumer users without business presence" message you're seeing.

    To help confirm whether this is the case, could you please let me know:

    • Do you recall ever receiving or creating an administrator account ending in @EdgeStrategicMarketingLtd.onmicrosoft.com when the subscription was first set up?
    • If so, do you still have access to that account, or any records of its username?

    If an .onmicrosoft.com administrator account exists, that would likely be the account required to access the Microsoft 365 admin center and manage or cancel the subscription.

    I appreciate your patience while we work through this.

    The information you've provided has been very helpful, and I believe confirming whether an original .onmicrosoft.com administrative account exists will be an important next step in determining the available recovery or cancellation options.

    Thank you for your kindness and understanding!

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Edge Strategic Marketing Limited 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T16:27:55.89+00:00

    Thank you for your help thus far, Julie. Before I answer your questions, I have to say that this process is driving me crazy! I have probably spent 3 hours now trying to navigate the simple task of cancelling a subscription. It was not helped by the fact that on three occasions, the customer service line (0800 026 0329) simply terminated the call, after I answered the very first question from the automated voice (the one which asks if you are a Home or Business user). The first two times, I answered "Business", and it simply terminated the call; the third time I tried "Home" and it also terminated the call! Then, in trying to access the online help, the "verify that you are human' exercise asked no less than 5 questions about images that were not very clear. It was a nightmare from a user experience point of view.

    Now that I have that off my chest, let me answer your questions: 1) the @edgemarketing.co.uk account is the one `I used, and Microsoft's acknowledgment came to [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed]@edgemarketing.co.uk . 2) The subscription was purchased from Microsoft direct 3) There are/were no other users in the organisation that held/hold administrator access 4) No changes have been made to the Edge Marketing domain since purchase.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. Julie Huynh 3,850 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T10:53:04.2166667+00:00

    Dear @Edge Strategic Marketing Limited,

    Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!

    Thank you for providing these details. Based on the information you've shared, the error AADSTS50020 typically indicates that the account being used to sign in is not recognized as a user within the EdgeStrategicMarketingLtd tenant.

    Since you're also seeing the message stating that the @edgemarketing.co.uk account is identified as a personal Microsoft account, it is possible that the account currently being used is no longer linked to the organization tenant that owns the Teams Essentials subscription.

    To help narrow this down, could you please confirm the following:

    • Is the @edgemarketing.co.uk account the exact account that originally purchased and administered the Teams Essentials subscription?
    • Was the subscription purchased directly from Microsoft or through a Microsoft partner/reseller?
    • Are there any other users in the organization who may have previously held Global Administrator access to the tenant?
    • Has the domain edgemarketing.co.uk ever been transferred, recreated, or had changes made to its Microsoft 365 configuration since the subscription was purchased?

    As an initial troubleshooting step, you may also try signing in using an InPrivate/Incognito browser session. In some cases, AADSTS50020 can occur when an existing personal Microsoft account session is being used instead of the intended organizational account.

    Based on my experience, this situation is often related to account ownership or tenant access rather than the subscription itself.

    Once I understand which account originally owned the subscription and how it was purchased, I can better provide the available options for recovering administrative access or pursuing cancellation through Microsoft Support if necessary.

    Kindly let me know when there are updates or if you need further assistance. Any updates you’re able to share would be really helpful.

    I'm here and happy to help! Thank you for your kindness and patience! 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.