Windows Hello Face Recognition stopped working – HelloFace driver error

Akrom Mo'ydinov 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T09:30:36.61+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support,

I am having an issue with Windows Hello Face Recognition on my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (Intel) running Windows 11.

Windows Hello Face Recognition has stopped working and I am unable to use facial recognition to sign in to Windows.

I checked Event Viewer and found the following error:

Device: ROOT\WINDOWSHELLOFACESOFTWAREDRIVER\0000 Driver Name: helloface.inf Service: WUDFRd Problem: 0x25 Problem Status: 0xC0000034 Event ID: 411 Source: Kernel-PnP

The error says:

"Device ROOT\WINDOWSHELLOFACESOFTWAREDRIVER\0000 had a problem starting."

I also checked Device Manager. The Surface IR Camera Front is detected by Windows and appears to be working. Its events show "Device started (usbvideo)".

The IR camera driver information is:

Driver Provider: Microsoft Driver Date: 06/21/2006 Driver Version: 10.0.26100.9444

My processor is an Intel Core i7-1065G7, so this is the Intel version of the Surface Laptop 3.

I also checked Optional Updates → Driver updates, but there are no available driver updates.

I tried looking for Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) under Optional Features, but it does not appear there, so I cannot uninstall/reinstall it from Optional Features.

I would like to know how I can repair or reinstall the Windows Hello Face / HelloFace software driver (helloface.inf) and restore facial recognition.

I would appreciate instructions specifically for the Surface Laptop 3 Intel model.

Thank you.

User's image

User's image

Surface | Surface Laptop | Sound and camera
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lychee-Ng 28,995 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T14:12:58.08+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the screenshots, Akrom Mo'ydinov,

    This does look more like a problem with the Windows Hello Face component than with the IR camera itself. Before going further, one thing worth noting is that Surface 3 has reached the End of Servicing, so it's no longer being updated with newer drivers and firmware. Since you said Facial Recognition is also missing from Optional Features, let's try:

    1 - Repair the Windows component files

    • Right-click Start and select Terminal (Admin)
    • Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • After it completes, run sfc /scannow > restart your PC.

    2 - Use the built-in Surface specific tools

    • Refer to: Fix common problems using the Surface app and Surface Diagnostic Toolkit | Microsoft Support  
    • Open Start, search for Surface Diagnostic Toolkit / Surface app > run it and follow the prompt
    • If they're not already installed, you can download them from Microsoft Store.
    • Once finished, restart PC > open File Explorer > C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver
    • If you found the folder, look for HelloFace.inf > right-click it and choose Install, then restart Windows again.

    3 - Reinstall the Windows Hello Face software device

    • Open Device Manager > select View > Show hidden devices.
    • Look for Facial Recognition (Windows Hello), especially under Software devices.
    • If found, right-click it and select Uninstall device > restart Windows and let it auto-detect again.

    4 - Manually reinstall the Surface Laptop 3 Intel driver/firmware package

    If none of the above restores the Windows Hello software device, the next option I would consider is a Windows 11 repair reinstall/in-place repair. Let me know the results after the steps above and I will give instructions for that later.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.