If I forgot my PIN is available on the sign-in screen, select it and follow the prompts to reset the PIN. If there are multiple accounts on the device, choose the correct account first. This option is available for Microsoft accounts, not local accounts.
If I forgot my PIN is not available or does not work, switch to password sign-in:
- On the sign-in screen, select Sign-in options.
- Select Enter your password.
- Sign in with the account password.
- After signing in, open Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
- Select PIN (Windows Hello).
- Select I forgot my PIN to reset it, or Change PIN if the old PIN is known.
If both the PIN and password are forgotten:
- For a Microsoft account, on the sign-in screen select I forgot my password, or select Sign-in options > Web sign-in and then Forgot my password.
- A browser reset option is also available at Reset password.
- For a local account, select the password entry button, then OK > Reset password, and answer the security questions.
If sign-in is still failing, restart the device and try again. If updates are pending, use Update and restart.
If the account is being blocked after repeated attempts, wait before trying again, avoid repeated retries, and use another verification method if one is available.
References: