My account got hacked and stolen from me, and Microsoft support still hasn’t done anything about it.

Matthew Kim 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T22:06:20.3866667+00:00

I got my account stolen from me a month ago. I have contacted Microsoft support many many times trying to get my account back, and they have all told me to fill out the account recovery form. I have filled out that form nearly 20 times now and it has all been denied. One agent told me they will put in a follow up ticket request on my behalf and that I am able to get a response from 48-72 hours, and if I don’t I can reply to the email confirmation sent to ask for an update. That email confirmation was sent on Sept 26 with no update, and I asked for an update October 3 with still no update. I’m starting to lose hope in Microsoft and want to know other ways I can recover my account.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hornblower409 16,350 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T03:54:57.82+00:00

    @Matthew Kim said

    One agent told me they will put in a follow up ticket request on my behalf ... confirmation was sent on Sept 26 with no update, and I asked for an update October 3 with still no update.

    I will assume you got a SIR Escalation Case number. If not, please advise. If so:

    There is not anything else you can do while the review is pending. There is no publicly documented alternative recovery process beyond Microsoft's account recovery and support channels.

    The fact that a follow-up was promised within 48-72 hours and has not arrived does not necessarily mean the case was rejected. Consumer account escalations can sometimes take much longer than the original estimate.

    And, I'm sorry, but no one here can help. We can't see the status of internal support cases.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-06T22:06:36.0666667+00:00

    The supported recovery paths are limited.

    • If the account is hacked, start with the Microsoft sign-in helper tool. It can identify the issue and either provide self-help steps or offer the chance to talk to an agent.
    • If the recovery form was submitted, the result is sent to the working email address entered at the start of the form, typically within 24 hours.
    • If the recovery request is denied, retries are allowed up to two times per day.
    • Support agents are not allowed to send password reset links or access and change account details.
    • If two-step verification was turned on and access to all alternate verification methods is lost, there is no assisted recovery path through support.

    For a compromised account, the documented self-service sequence is:

    1. Run a full malware scan on the PC before changing any password. In Windows Security, open Virus and threat protection > Scan options > Full scan > Scan now.
    2. Use the sign-in helper tool: Start.
    3. If access is regained, immediately change or reset the password.
    4. Then review account settings that may have been changed, including connected accounts, forwarding, and automatic replies.

    Based on the documented limits, there is no other recovery method beyond the sign-in helper and the account recovery process, and support cannot manually restore access or override account security details.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.