A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Under
Norton 360, Ransomware protection, access to Word was blocked.
I toggled it to Allowed
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In the past week to 10 days, I've found an issue with all Word files. They open as Read only and I cannot make any changes, saves or copies. I have checked similar older posts and have tried all the remedies with no success. If I create a new Word file and attempt to save it, it creates an empty (0 kb) file and cannot save over it. These are local files on my C drive. I also get the message in Word to Upload my files - presumably to the cloud - in order to work on them. The exact message is "Upload your document. You can then rename, move or access history." So, I press Upload, but the upload never completes. I've also tried syncing my files with the cloud; also disabling the antivirus temporarily to see if that was the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Under
Norton 360, Ransomware protection, access to Word was blocked.
I toggled it to Allowed
Thanks!
That message can appear on a home PC if Windows Security is being controlled by another antivirus/security program or by a policy left behind by one.
Before changing anything, please check:
Word version 2609 Build 16.0.20430.20032
Windows 11 version 25H2, installed on 2/25/26. I see that version 26H2 is available now, but I'm not sure if I should install until I resolve this isse.
Thank you for letting me know.
Since Windows Update is already offering Windows 11 26H2, I suggest installing it first, then restart the computer and test Word again. The process will download and restart your PC several times. This may take some time, so please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
If the issue still persists after the upgrade, uninstall Microsoft 365/Office completely from the computer, restart, then reinstall it from your Microsoft account here: https://account.microsoft.com/services
Here’s how:
Then, to reinstall Microsoft Office:
If anything’s unclear or the "Install" option still doesn’t show, feel free to let me know. I’ll be happy to walk you through it!
After reinstalling, sign in with the same Microsoft account that holds your Microsoft 365 subscription and test one of the affected Word files again.
Thanks!
Hi @J Ballgame
If you haven't tried it yet, please check Word's activation status. Open Word and go to "File > Account". Under "Product Information", does it show "Product Activated", or do you see "Unlicensed Product", "Activation Required", or another message?
Also, please try creating a simple text file with Notepad and saving it in the same folder where the Word documents are stored. Are you able to save and edit the Notepad file normally?
Click "Add comment" to let me know.
Thanks!
AI answer
For local files on the C: drive, the most relevant checks are these:
Given that the files are local and new files save as 0 KB, the most useful next step is the new local folder test in step 1. If Word can save and reopen files there, the problem is tied to the original file location or file attributes. If it still cannot, proceed with Office updates and an Online Repair.