How do I uninstall office 2019 from old laptop then to be re installed to a new laptop? Can I recover Product Key?

Natz P 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T18:03:08.5766667+00:00

The old laptop cannot be repaired, but I was able to recover the mother board and drive C where the programs were installed. I understand I need to uninstall it first, before re installing the Office 2019. However, I cannot find the product key when I originally purchased it and installed the same on December 7, 2019. Where can I recover the product key so I can use in re installing the office 2019 in my new purchased laptop? Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.9K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-06T18:21:57.7866667+00:00

    You should be able to install Office from your associated account at https://account.microsoft.com/services .

    Activation may be more complex because you cannot uninstall from the old computer, but see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-microsoft-perpetual-products-using-the-product-activation-portal .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-06T18:03:24.0533333+00:00

    No. The full Office 2019 product key cannot be viewed in Office or online.

    For Office 2019, the usual path is to reinstall using the Microsoft account that the product was linked to when the key was first redeemed:

    1. On the new laptop, sign in to the Microsoft account used when Office 2019 was originally activated.
    2. Go to the Microsoft account, Services & subscriptions page: https://account.microsoft.com/services/
    3. If Office 2019 appears there, install it from that page. In this case, the product key is not needed again.
    4. If Office is already installed on the new laptop and activation does not match the correct purchase, use the correct account or change the product key only if there are multiple one-time Office purchases tied to different keys.

    To check which Microsoft account the old Office installation belonged to, if the old installation can still be opened:

    1. Open Word or another Office app.
    2. Go to File > Account.
    3. Check the email address shown after Belongs to below the product name.

    About uninstalling from the old laptop:

    • For one-time purchase editions such as Office Home & Business, Office Home & Student, and Office Professional, Office can be moved to a different computer if the transfer terms in the Software License Terms are followed.
    • If moving Office to another computer, uninstall Office from the original computer.
    • If activation reports that the maximum number of activations has been reached, activation by phone may be required after installing on the new computer.

    Since the old laptop cannot be repaired, the practical next step is to try reinstalling from the Microsoft account first. Recovering the full product key is not supported, except for certain older Workplace Discount Program purchases.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.