How to get past "something went wrong" message from security quiz

Gregory Johnson 20 Reputation points
2026-10-06T09:07:02.25+00:00

For a year, I have been trying to add a recovery email and change my password. Every time, Microsoft fails to send me a check-in code, and instead I get this inane "solve this puzzle" page which cuts out after one or two rounds and flashes "something went wrong, try again later." Why can I not prove that I am not a robot? Why does something always go wrong with these security programs that claim that I am a robot? How do I force Outlook to work?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Virginia M 42,240 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-06T10:17:40.06+00:00

Hello, I’m Virginia.

Have you tried your browser’s incognito mode &/or a different - non Chrome related - browser?

Are you running any third party antivirus &/or adblocker (adblocker may be part of the browser or an extension) on the browser? If yes then try disabling this & try again.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Gregory Johnson 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T12:54:22.4066667+00:00

    I changed browsers, and the problem was resolved. Thank you for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.