Managing personal Outlook.com account settings, security, and privacy
How could I get access back to my email?
Guys, I am screwed! To reduce junk email in my Live.com account (which was my primary email for everything, including my Microsoft 365 subscription), I followed Microsoft's advice on its forum and made my secondary Gmail.com address my primary alias to log in to my Live.com account. I saw an immediate improvement, and the amount of junk email dropped significantly. I hadn't had any issues sending or receiving email with Live.com, and logging in with Gmail.com was perfectly fine until yesterday (October 4) afternoon.
Yesterday afternoon, October 4, as an extra precaution, I selected "Sign out everywhere" in my Live.com email settings. I logged back in on the browser's Outlook Web App using my Gmail.com alias and tried logging in with my phone number as well, and everything was fine. Until then, I couldn't imagine what nightmare was waiting for me, but after two hours I got the first pop-up message on my iPad's Outlook, Defender, and Reminder app to log back in. I tried to log in with my Gmail.com address, which had worked a short while ago, but I got the following error message (at the bottom of the message), which means my Live.com email no longer exists; even after I reached out to Microsoft support, they couldn't find my Live.com email anywhere in their system! It's just vanished!!
Even my correct password showed as incorrect when I tried to verify my information as the error message asked, and it keeps saying my password is incorrect. According to the Microsoft support engineer, I tried to reset my password using the code sent to my Gmail.com email and my phone, but after I entered the code from Microsoft, it kept showing a system error message, and the Microsoft-given code didn't work.
After spending over two hours with the Microsoft engineer and giving him access to my laptop, I didn't get a resolution. Therefore, once I requested to escalate it to the next level, I was provided an online form named 'account-reinstatement '. I submitted that form with all details last night. By the way, I can still send emails to my Live.com email from other email addresses without any issues, and I can still receive emails on my Live.com email. But I'm still getting the same error message when I try to log in to my Live.com account: "The inbox you've been using is no longer available..."
I had a sleepless night; I am scared, and I am anxious. I followed the Microsoft email settings, didn't get any warning message, and now I can't access my two-decade-old primary email. I can't even access Microsoft Office applications or OneDrive, as I said that Live.com email is the primary email for my Microsoft 365 subscription. Please wish me luck in getting some resolution from Microsoft.
Error Message: "The inbox you've been using is no longer available. This can occur when your account is owned by an organization, or when someone else confirms ownership of the email address. You haven't lost access to the other services you use with your Microsoft account. However, you must choose a new primary alias to continue.
Verify your information
For security purposes, enter the password for the account you're trying to sign in to."