I can’t login to my Xbox account

Lee Smith 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T11:40:53.27+00:00

I cannot login to my Xbox account.

I have tried everything it has advised me to do, reset password, use another device to login none of it worked.

It an old virgin media email address that I can’t login to anymore for another device other than my phone. Plus I think it has been hacked as I keep getting a email telling me that they have my information.

I want to change my email address for my Xbox account once I get login.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-05T11:41:09.8033333+00:00

    Use the Microsoft Sign-in Helper first. It is the primary recovery path for sign-in problems, hacked accounts, forgotten usernames, and verification issues. It can guide through self-help steps and may offer the option to talk to an agent.

    If the account may be compromised, do this in order:

    1. Scan the PC or device for malware first.
      • Open Windows Security.
      • Go to Virus and threat protection.
      • Select Scan options > Full scan > Scan now.
      • Change or reset the password only after the scan completes.
    2. Try account recovery.
      • Use Recover your account and enter the email address, phone number, or Skype name used to sign in.
      • If the username is not recognized, check that the email domain is correct and try any other alias or phone number that may be on the account.
      • If a security code can be received, enter it and set a new password.
    3. If the account was hacked, use the hacked-account recovery flow.
      • It asks for the email address or phone number and then shows the available recovery options.
      • It may also offer the chance to talk to an agent.
    4. If access is recovered, change the email address on the Microsoft account.
      • Go to Edit account info.
      • Add a new email alias, or remove an old one if allowed.
      • Microsoft account aliases share the same password and can be used to sign in to Microsoft services and Xbox.

    Important limits:

    • Support agents are not allowed to send password reset links or directly change account details.
    • If two-step verification is turned on and there is no access to any alternate verification method, support cannot help recover the account.
    • If the old Virgin Media address is no longer accessible, recovery depends on the recovery options and verification methods still attached to the Microsoft account.

    If the sign-in helper and recovery options still fail, use Contact Microsoft Support from the support flow and provide a working contact email for the recovery process.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.