I need to know which email address is associated with my billing account

Linda 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T16:38:41.4233333+00:00

I closed my account on an old computer and when I try to download it on my new computer it doesn't recognize that I already have an account, it wants to purchase a new account. I'm thinking that the email address I sign in with is not the email associated with my billing account. I have had this account for many years and I don't know what email address was used to open it. I have tried many email addresses.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-02T16:38:58.49+00:00

    Use these checks to identify which email is tied to the Microsoft account and subscription:

    1. Try the Microsoft account sign-in page at https://account.microsoft.com with each email address.
      • If it says "We couldn't find an account with that username" or "That Microsoft account doesn't exist", that address is not a Microsoft account.
      • If it shows a password prompt, that email is a Microsoft account.
    2. If the account was previously used on another device, check a device where it is still signed in:
      • On Windows 10/11: Start > Settings > Accounts. Under Email & app accounts, review the usernames associated with the device.
      • In Office apps such as Word or Excel: File > Account. Under Product Information, look for Belongs to to see the associated username.
    3. Check old email inboxes for Microsoft receipts or subscription messages. Purchase receipts, renewal notices, and order confirmations can help identify which Microsoft account was used.
    4. If an alternate email address was ever added to the account, try signing in with that alternate address as well.
    5. If the password or email still cannot be identified, use the Sign-in Helper tool: Start.
    6. If the issue is specifically a Microsoft 365 renewal or subscription tied to an unknown account, Microsoft Support can route the case through Contact Support after entering the problem and selecting Get Help.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.