SOUND PROBLEMS WITH AN ACER DESKTOP

Peter Axon 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T12:19:03.2433333+00:00

I currently have no sound on my Acer desktop. There is a white cross on my sound bar which says there is no sound device installed. However a check with Device Manager says Realtek is installed and working correctly. While i am about it my computer does have a microphone installed which has also fallen victim to the not working ethic. It hasn't been operational for over a year.

Any ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Emma1-N 13,430 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T00:17:56.5066667+00:00

    Welcome Peter Axon,

    Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    To help narrow this down, could you tell us:

    • Which version of Windows are you using (Windows 10 or Windows 11)?
    • Did the audio stop working recently, or has it been missing for a long time?
    • Does your Acer model use the built-in speakers, or are external speakers connected?

    In the meantime, please try these quick checks:

    • Press Windows + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
    • Find Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder"
    • Ensure both services show Running and Automatic. If not, right-click each service and select Start

    Then check whether an audio device now appears.

    Also, please open Settings > System > Sound and let me know whether any device is listed under Output or if the list is completely empty.

    I look forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Peter Axon 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T09:48:43.8166667+00:00

    Hello Emma:

    I am sorry this seems such a complicated matter. Made more so by the fact your diagnosis has to be made from long distance. Were my latest comments of any help?

    Before I go ahead with your latest proposal, can you please confirm you are suggesting I uninstall Realtek sound device. I don't want to make a bad situation worse!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.