Microsoft for Startups Azure credit activation fails – “You’re not eligible for an Azure free account”

Grant Jennings 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T03:22:44.3533333+00:00

I am applying for Microsoft for Startups for a New Zealand startup.

I created a new personal Microsoft account specifically for the Microsoft for Startups application. This account has not previously had an Azure subscription or Azure free trial.

I successfully accessed the Microsoft for Startups portal and was offered Azure credits. When I selected Sign up to activate the Azure benefit, I was taken through the Azure account creation process.

After accepting the Azure agreement, the activation failed with the message:

“You’re not eligible for an Azure free account.”

I personally administer separate existing Azure subscriptions under other business identities, but the personal Microsoft account used for this Microsoft for Startups application is new.

The Azure Help + Support workflow identifies the issue as “Troubleshooting: Account Review – Resolve inability to sign up”, but because the new account does not yet have an active Azure subscription, I cannot complete a normal support ticket.

Could Microsoft please review the account/Startup benefit eligibility and advise how I can complete activation of the Microsoft for Startups Azure credits?

I can provide the Microsoft account details, screenshots and any verification information privately if required.

Azure | Azure Startups
Azure | Azure Startups

Startups: Companies that are in their initial stages of business and typically developing a business model and seeking financing.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-30T03:23:01.0966667+00:00

    Use the Microsoft for Startups support path for the benefit activation issue, and use Azure sign-up checks for the account eligibility error.

    1. Verify the Azure sign-up profile details on the new Microsoft account:
      • Country/region
      • First and last name
      • Email address
      • Phone number
      • Credit card information
      • Ensure the credit card billing address matches the bank records.
    2. For the specific error “You are not eligible for an Azure subscription” or “You’re not eligible for an Azure free account”, check that:
      • The Azure account profile information is correct.
      • The credit card information is correct.
      • There is not already another Microsoft account using the same information.
    3. If sign-up still fails, try the sign-up again in a different browser.
    4. Because this is a Microsoft for Startups Azure credit activation issue and there is no active subscription yet, submit a program support request instead of a normal Azure subscription support ticket:
      • In the Azure portal, go to the startup homepage.
      • In the Overview tab, find Your Microsoft Team.
      • Select Get program support.
    5. If using the Microsoft for Startups portal experience, support can also be submitted there:
      • Sign in to the Microsoft for Startups Portal.
      • Select the ? icon in the top-right corner.
      • Select Submit a Support Ticket.
      • Attach screenshots of the activation failure.
    6. For Microsoft for Startups program-specific support, the documented support contact is: https://aka.ms/startuphelp-mfs-portal

    This issue should be handled as a Microsoft for Startups program/benefit activation case, not as a standard Azure technical support case tied to an existing subscription.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.