Running Publisher 2021 in a virtual machine

TerryHertel-1656 5 Reputation points
2026-09-26T16:18:52.98+00:00

I am still searching for a solution for the retirement of Publisher. I am a casual user and use it for producing all kinds of fun stuff - greeting cards, business cards (calling cards), iron-ons for t-shirts, coffee cups, caps, calendars, etc. I have 674 Publisher files. I have briefly reviewed Canva, Affinity, and Scribus but I'm no sprint chicken and having to learn any of these is very "scary" because they are so different. My graphics hobby is supposed to be fun. I just found a suggestion that I had not seen before:

Screenshot 2026-09-26 111119_2

Microsoft 365 and Office | Publisher | For home
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. TerryHertel-1656 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-26T16:24:51.13+00:00

    I am running MS 365. My understanding is that Publisher 2021 cannot be installed alongside 365. I could uninstall 365 and install 2021, but support for that is ending and there won't be any updates, including security fixes. The virtual machine would allow one to stay on the current Office product and still run Publisher.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-09-26T16:19:08.77+00:00

    Publisher 2021 can still be installed and used beyond October 2026 if it is the perpetual version, even though support ends. Microsoft 365 subscribers will lose access to Publisher after October 2026, but the perpetual version remains installable and usable after that date.

    For preserving access to existing .pub files, the supported guidance is:

    1. Keep using Publisher with its current functionality until October 1, 2026.
    2. Before that date, convert important files to another format.
    3. For viewing, save Publisher files as PDF:
      • Open the Publisher file
      • Go to File > Save as
      • Choose a location
      • Select PDF as the file type
      • Select Save
    4. For editing after conversion, open the PDF in Word:
      • Open Word
      • Go to File > Open
      • Open the PDF file
      • Select OK

    Microsoft also states that many common Publisher scenarios are available in Word and PowerPoint, including greeting cards, business cards, calendars, and other similar projects.

    The virtual machine suggestion shown in the screenshot is not covered by the available Microsoft documentation here, so the supported facts are limited to the retirement timeline, continued use of the perpetual version after support ends, and the recommendation to convert files before October 2026.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.