How to find my file before I deleted something accidently and i can't go back any more

GuoXin Verhoef 0 Reputation points
2026-09-26T01:35:26.1133333+00:00

Good evening

So I was editing some last grammer stuff, but without realsing I hadaccidently deled my whole mainbody text (1300+ words for a school project). I can't return back anymore, not with Command + Z (on Mac) nor with the return button. How to retrieve my full written document????

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2026-09-26T01:51:41.8633333+00:00

    Assuming the document has been saved at lest once the best option is to close the file but say NO to saving changes. When you reopen the file you should find all except what was entered after the most recent Save.

    Another possibility if you have Time Machine enabled: If the document has been saved at least once the most recent version captured by Time Machine can be retrieved.

    Similarly, if using OneDrive the most recently saved version can be retrieved.

    Contrary to what some may suggest, though, deleted document content cannot be recovered & isn't deposited in the Trash.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.