Defender will not allow me to login after rebuild with saving data

John Galt 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T22:52:31.21+00:00

Had to reset laptop today using save my data option. When I turned on defender i was prompted to sign in. I used my microsoft creds and it wont accept them. I am obviously able to login to the microsoft site using these creds so I know they work.

What gives?

Thank you

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft 365 Defender | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,730 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-25T23:30:00.6833333+00:00

    Sorry to hear you're having trouble signing in to Microsoft Defender after resetting the laptop. To better understand what is happening, could you please confirm which Defender application is asking you to sign in: the Microsoft Defender app included with Microsoft 365, or Windows Security? Also, what exact error message do you receive after entering your Microsoft account credentials? If possible, please share a screenshot of the message, making sure to hide any personal information.

    Please also confirm whether your Microsoft 365 subscription appears as active at https://account.microsoft.com/services, and whether the same Microsoft account is currently signed in under Settings > Accounts > Your info on the rebuilt laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.