How can I return to an empty inbox after viewing emails?

King, David W. (Student) 25 Reputation points
2026-09-24T19:34:27.1333333+00:00

I'm not sure how to phrase this, but in past versions of outlook, after I was done viewing an email, I could leftclick on 'inbox' and it would return to the background again. Now, clicking on inbox does nothing, and continues to show whatever email I selected.

e.g. I select an email in my inbox like this, and when I'm done reading it, I don't want to see it anymore.

Screenshot (146)

So I used to leftclick 'inbox' and it would bring me back to this:

Screenshot (172)

But that was past versions. Now, when I'm done reading emails, I can't see this background anymore unless I close the tab and reopen outlook. And it stays on this (or whatever other email I select):

Screenshot (146)

It's been bugging me for months and I don't know what setting can change it, if it can still be changed.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hornblower409 16,200 Reputation points
2026-09-25T05:02:52.1933333+00:00

@King, David W. (Student) said

I was done viewing an email, I could leftclick on 'inbox' and it would return to the background again. Now, clicking on inbox does nothing, and continues to show whatever email I selected.

Thanks for the pics, but I'm still not exactly sure what you are trying to describe. What happens if you press ESC? Does that close/hide the current email so the "background" is visible again?

You talk about "when I'm done reading emails" but all your pics are of (what looks to be) a compose window.

I know I'm missing something. Can you try describing it a different way to help me understand?

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.