Cannot find any way to add Std Dev bars to my bar graph on microsoft365 for mac

Sammy Colker-Eybel 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T22:41:06.9666667+00:00

As the title says. I've tried googling for this information, but for whatever reason I cannot find the mythical 'chart elements' button

There is a 'chart' button, but no 'chart elements'. I also keep being told about this mythical 'excel' button, which should allow me to change the elements in my ribbon - can't find that anywhere eitherScreenshot 2026-09-23 at 6.39.08 PM

Attached is what I can actually see. Any help would be appreciated, as this is maddening.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivory 1,825 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-23T23:03:27.8866667+00:00

    Hi Sammy,

    Based on the screenshot, it appears you are using Excel for the web. In Excel for the web, there is no separate "Chart Elements" (+) button as there is in the desktop version of Excel. Instead, chart elements such as Chart Title, Axis Titles, Legend, Data Labels, Data Table, Axes, and Gridlines are managed directly from the Chart tab that appears when a chart is selected. If you are following instructions that reference the Chart Elements button or File > Options > Customize Ribbon, those steps apply to the desktop version of Excel and are not available in Excel for the web.

    Additionally, you currently can't add Std Dev error bars directly within Excel for the web's own interface

    The online versions of Microsoft Office provide a streamlined experience and do not include all the functionality available in the desktop applications. One of the features not currently supported in Excel for the web is Custom Error Bars, which is only available in the desktop version of Excel.

    To use Custom Error Bars, you'll need to open the workbook in the Excel desktop application.

    However, I believe this limitation is greatly impacting to your workflow, I highly recommend submitting a suggestion directly for Excel by navigating to Excel · Community This is the most effective way to ensure your voice reaches the product team and can be considered for future improvements.  

    Once you've submitted your feedback, feel free to share the link here in the comments. I’ll be happy to upvote it to help bring more visibility.  

    In the meantime, if you see my replies bring helpful information, please kindly accept it as an answer and vote it up by your original account, which raised this question. Once marked, it will automatically pin to top. As other users will also search information in this community, your valuable vote up will definitely also help other users who have similar queries easily to find the correct channel and useful information more quickly.   

    I hope this provides enough clarity and helps you stay inform with your current situation.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.    


    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.