Regional issues with Azure Maps batch geocoding endpoint

Jeff Haacke 60 Reputation points
2026-09-23T17:25:07.99+00:00

Hello, I'm using the batch geocoding endpoint (version 2025-01-01 version) and passing in address information in the "structured" format rather than "query" format, where I provide individual values for address components. What I have found is that specifically in the Western Oregon region, there seems to be a large coverage gap. Valid addresses mostly are not recognized in this area, with this endpoint. I have hundreds of examples I can provide if needed. However, if I use the "query" parameter rather than address components, the addresses are mostly successful. I have spot checked different regions of the US, and Western Oregon is the only one I have found with this issue. Can you please verify that this is a gap in Azure Maps, and advise on how I can get this fixed? I would prefer not to have to change my API calls to use the "query" parameter, if possible. Thanks.

Azure Maps
Azure Maps

An Azure service that provides geospatial APIs to add maps, spatial analytics, and mobility solutions to apps.


Answer accepted by question author
Allan Solomon Mejia 10,225 Reputation points
2026-09-23T18:47:29.99+00:00

Hello @Jeff Haacke

Microsoft lists the United States as supporting address-point, house-number, street-level, and city-level geocoding. However, the documentation doesn’t identify coverage at the state or subregional level, so it doesn’t confirm a specific gap in Western Oregon.

The 2025-01-01 batch endpoint supports either a free-form query or structured fields such as addressLine, locality, adminDistrict, postalCode, and countryRegion. Don’t combine these in the same batch item.

Since the addresses work with query but not with structured fields, this could be an API matching issue or an underlying address-data issue. I cannot find verified official documentation confirming a known Western Oregon limitation or a configuration change that would correct this behavior.

I recommend submitting several reproducible examples without your subscription key through the Azure Maps feedback tool. If this consistently affects structured requests but not equivalent free-form requests, open an Azure support request for investigation.

References:

Get Geocoding Batch API

Azure Maps geocoding coverage

Provide data feedback to Azure Maps


Help make this community better for everyone: If this answer helped or resolved your issue, please accept it or upvote it. If not, share more details in a comment so we can continue the discussion and find the right solution. Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. rbrundritt 21,721 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-26T01:11:11.04+00:00

    Structured Geocoding often has a lower success rate as often address parts are passed into the wrong field or no supported (for example passing in neighborhood name into the city field). The free form query geocoding is a lot more forgiving as it parses and classifies each part of the address and has multiple fallbacks. A general best practice is to actually create a free form query from structured address info (I know Bing Maps documented this for well over a decade and have seen many other map platforms have the same recommendation. Haven't checked the Azure Maps docs for this).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.