Microsoft Surface Duo stuck in boot loop

Brad O'Shizno 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T14:12:32.7433333+00:00

My Surface Duo has been off for a while, but when I opened it, it goes directly to the Boot Select page showing me

Start/Recovery Mode/Power Off

Bootloader Version 2022.815.527

And then shows the serial number and QR code.

When I select start, it shows a windows symbol & it goes to the Boot Select Screen

When I select Recovery Mode, it shows a Windows symbol & back to the Boot Select Screen

Power off does the obvious.

Apparently, I would need certain files to fix this that microsoft wont provide? Can I ship it to Microsoft to get fixed. I saw a previous question like mine not answered, but told to click on Recovery mode.

Id like a fix for this VERY EXPENSIVE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT YOUR SOFTWARE HAS CLEARLY BROKEN AS I ONLY SEE MICROSOFT stuff when it turns on.

Surface | Surface Duo | Operating system

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. S.Sengupta 32,751 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-24T04:58:16.9833333+00:00

    What you are describing is not a normal “select Recovery Mode” situation.

    The key point is:

    Start → Microsoft logo → Boot Select

    Recovery Mode → Microsoft logo → Boot Select

    Android Recovery never appears

    If Recovery Mode itself cannot load, the normal adb sideload recovery procedure cannot be performed. This could be corrupted boot/recovery data or a problem with the internal storage; the loop alone does not prove a hardware failure.

    Before doing anything destructive

    If you have important data on the Duo, do not factory-reset, erase, or manually flash partitions yet.

    Install Google's Android Platform Tools, connect the Duo while it is at Boot Select, and run:

    fastboot devices

    If it is detected, you can also run:

    fastboot getvar all

    These are diagnostic commands only. Remove the serial number or other identifiers before posting the output publicly.

    I would not recommend blindly running commands such as fastboot flash boot or fastboot flash recovery. The correct Surface Duo partition layout and Microsoft-provided recovery procedure should be followed; guessing at partition names/images can make recovery more difficult.

    If Fastboot does not detect the Duo, or the commands fail/hang, stop there.

    Microsoft Support

    When contacting Microsoft, don't simply report “Duo won't boot.” Tell them:

    Surface Duo is stuck at Boot Select. Start → Microsoft logo → Boot Select. Recovery Mode → Microsoft logo → Boot Select. Android Recovery never appears. Bootloader Version: 2022.815.527.

    Also provide the result of fastboot devices.

    Given that Recovery Mode itself is failing to load, it is reasonable to ask Microsoft for a service/replacement assessment rather than being directed repeatedly to select Recovery Mode.

    If the device contains important data, explicitly tell Microsoft not to perform a factory reset without your authorization.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.