How to stop word autosave to OneDrive on Ipad?

R. Helmsdal 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T11:40:38.0333333+00:00

I really don't want any of my documents in OnDrive, none! I have no trust in this application. But I can't use Word on my iPad without having it auto-save all documents I work on into the Onedrive I have worked hard to remove. Is there a way to make Word auto-save to another location? Auto-save is necessary, so I can't just turn it of.

PS. I have lost valuable documents because of OneDrive.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | iOS
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. TaoLi 114.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-23T15:03:35.4733333+00:00

    Your blank-document workaround sounds worth trying. To check AutoSave, make a small edit in a test document, leave it open in Word, and check whether that change appears in Dropbox. This helps confirm whether it saves during editing, rather than only when you close the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. TaoLi 114.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T12:43:55.89+00:00

    Hi R. Helmsdal, try connecting Dropbox directly inside Word: Open > Add a Place > Dropbox, then sign in.

    Open your document from that Dropbox location and leave AutoSave on. First use a test document, make a small edit, and check Dropbox to confirm the change has saved.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. R. Helmsdal 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T11:58:06.3566667+00:00

    It is not clear from the answer if the files opened from Dropbox can be auto-saved to Dropbox. In my experience this is not possible, but I hope I am wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.