Multiple junk meeting initiations automatically added to Outlook.com calendar

Darren Tangen 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T06:06:03.3466667+00:00

First of all, shame on Microsoft for allowing this to happen in the first place and secondly for making it so difficult for a subscriber/customer to get help due to your porous security protections. Today, I received multiple malicious/spam meeting invitations. One was titled “Memory Wellness Breakthroughs.” My calendar is now completely infected with bogus spam entries. Every single day with multiple calendar entries. Outlook correctly classified the underlying meeting request as Junk Email, yet Outlook nevertheless automatically placed the event on my primary calendar, spanning September 21 through October 5, even though I never accepted, acknowledged, or responded to the invitation.

This means an unknown external sender whose message Microsoft has already classified as junk can cause content, URLs, calendar blocks and reminders to appear on my primary calendar without my consent.

I consider this a security and anti-spam design problem, not simply a request to block an individual sender.

I want Microsoft to explain:

  1. Why a meeting request classified as Junk Email is permitted to create an item on my primary calendar.
  2. How I can configure Outlook.com so that meeting requests from unknown/external senders are not placed on my calendar unless I explicitly accept them.
  3. If Outlook.com currently provides no such setting, please escalate this as a product/security issue. At minimum, meeting invitations classified as Junk Email should never populate the user's primary calendar or generate calendar reminders.

I can provide screenshots showing both the junk-folder meeting request and the corresponding unsolicited calendar event.

Microsoft itself classified the invitation as junk, yet Microsoft's calendar processing still allowed that junk to alter my calendar and generate reminders across all my devices. Fix this now! i also need a solution now!

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-H 27,975 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-22T10:43:34.7266667+00:00

    Hi, Darren Tangen

    This is an actual meeting invitation, not an “event from email,” so Outlook.com may place it on the calendar as tentative before you respond. Currently, personal Outlook.com accounts do not have a reliable “add only after I accept” control, and this behavior has been reported to Outlook Engineering.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    In Outlook.com, open Settings > Mail > Rules > Add new rule. Set Condition: Type is Invitation, then Action: Delete. Add exceptions for trusted people or domains from which you regularly receive legitimate invitations. This is the closest available workaround, although it will remove any invitation not covered by an exception.

    Empty Junk Email, then also empty Deleted Items. The calendar copy can remain linked to the original meeting message until that message is permanently removed. Avoid selecting any links or responding to the invitation.

    Vote and comment on the existing Outlook calendar-spam feature request. Include the screenshots, sender address, date received, and note that the invitation was already classified as junk. This is presently the appropriate product-escalation route.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.