Cannot install WinRE update

2026-09-19T20:04:48.3633333+00:00

I have Windows 10 22H2 and each month I receive a KB meant to update the WinRE environment. Each month, that particular update fails with the error 0x80070643, download failed. The other updates all work. Of course, I've checked in Microsoft's help pages and other places online and none of the solutions I find there have helped. I have a recovery partition of 15.1 GB with 8.06 GB used and 7.07 free, which should be plenty. I've even tried to update it manually and run into an issue each time (although I failed to document what the problem was). Any suggestions?

I did see some articles that said some Windows 10 systems will never update and I should just forget about it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Volume Z 1,765 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-20T02:07:38.84+00:00

    Well...the update may fail for Windows RE disabled. Did you run

    reagentc /enable
    

    and

    reagentc /info
    

    already and if so, does it indicate the 15.1 GB partition in use?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2026-09-20T21:26:30.3666667+00:00

    @Volume Z Yes, I ran those. It doesn't help. C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

    Windows RE status:         Enabled  
    Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE  
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: abe6a496-c84d-11ea-9cc1-5cf9dd7358b1  
    Recovery image location:  
    Recovery image index:      0  
    Custom image location:  
    Custom image index:        0
    ```REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.
    
    

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Ramesh 182.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-21T04:39:21.2+00:00

    Hi Brian,

    Please attach the following files in your next reply.

    C:\Windows\Logs\ReAgent\Reagent.log
    
    C:\Windows\Logs\WinREAgent\setupact.log
    

    If the file are big, share them on OneDrive or GoFile.io and post the link here.


    Right-click Start, and click Disk Management. Maximize Disk Management, adjust the column widths in the top pane to make all the entries visible. Post a screenshot.


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T16:52:09.9433333+00:00

    Here are the contents of ReAgent.log:

    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] ------------------------------------------------------
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] -----Executing command line: reagentc /info-----
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] ------------------------------------------------------
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] Enter WinReGetConfig
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] Parameters: configWinDir: NULL
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] WinRE config file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Recovery\ReAgent.xml
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] Update enhanced config info is enabled.
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Error [ReAgentc.exe] IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY failed: 0x32
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] WinRE is installed
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] WinRE is installed at: \?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] System is WimBoot: FALSE
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] WinRE image validated
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] Exit WinReGetConfig return value: 1, last error: 0x0
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] ------------------------------------------------------
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] -----Exiting command line: reagentc /info, Error: 0-----
    2026-09-20 17:27:49, Info [ReAgentc.exe] ------------------------------------------------------

    I can't attach the other; it's too large. Here's a link: https://1drv.ms/u/c/4bf63ce8f68e1985/IQA13gU3wUzDS63AHTuC5mCKAQZQgBUUG_VrHsXbAS14DDM?e=0Gi5ex

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.