I’m following up to check whether the issue has been resolved. Feel free to reply if you need further information. If the information provided was helpful, please click "Accept Answer" to help others in the community. Thank you!
Need help for ctivating Windows Server 2008 R2 offline
Hello,
I've recently received a guidance as screenshot below, for activating Windows Server 2008 R2 offline as the method using phone(ARS) is no longer supported.
However, there are 2 command prompts for each steps, for example it says to run 'slgmr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-...' and 'slmgr.vbs /dti'
Will I need to run both command prompts or will they do the same action?
Also, it seems that the full 25-digits product key is needed for 'slmgr.vbs ipk XXXXX-....' prompt, but I could only find the last 5 digits for the product key(TRCKB). If I do need the full product key, how can I find it? This Windows is installed in a customer's site where there is no internet connection.
(I've made comment to the below response, but have not received new update, and I need help ASAP)
This is the response I received previously:
Windows for business | Windows Server | Devices and deployment | Licensing and activation
2 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Jason Nguyen Tran 27,050 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-29T05:43:11.3666667+00:00 -
Jason Nguyen Tran 27,050 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-11T05:13:28.7766667+00:00 Hello Jason,
To clarify your first question: yes, you do need to run both commands in sequence. The
slmgr.vbs /ipk <product key>command installs the product key on the server, whileslmgr.vbs /dtigenerates the Installation ID that you then use in the Product Activation Portal. They serve different purposes, so both steps are required.Regarding the product key, the full 25-digit key is necessary for the
/ipkcommand. The last 5 digits alone are not sufficient. If you only have the partial key, you will need to locate the full key from your licensing documentation, Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC), or from the customer’s records. Unfortunately, Windows does not display the full key once installed, only the last 5 digits are shown for verification. If the customer does not have the full key, you may need to contact your licensing administrator or Microsoft Volume Licensing Support to retrieve it.Once you have the full key, run
/ipkto install it, then/dtito generate the Installation ID, and finally use/atp <Confirmation-ID>to apply the Confirmation ID provided by the portal. After that, you can confirm activation with/dlv.I hope the response provided some helpful insight. If you find this answer useful, please hit “accept answer” so I know it addressed your concern.
Jason