Windows service 2025 AD CS - I am not able to create PQ CA based on ML-DSA

Tadeáš Janků 0 Reputation points
2026-08-31T12:19:28.7266667+00:00

Hello, I'd like to create a new CA based on PQ algorithm ML-DSA on the Windows Service 2025 server. I am using the version which you can see on the screen below. According to my information it should be sufficient enough to use the ML-DSA algorithm.

However, when I navigate through the steps in the AD CS configuration I am not able to choose the ML-DSA key from the options. What's also strange is that when I use the command in the CMD it suddenly works. Why can't I create the PQ CA from the GUI?

Thank you for your help

User's imageUser's imageUser's image

Windows for business | Windows Server | Directory services | Certificates and public key infrastructure (PKI)
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Allan Solomon Mejia 10,225 Reputation points
    2026-08-31T16:17:20.8533333+00:00

    Hello @Tadeáš Janků

    Your Windows Server 2025 build is new enough, but there is an important distinction: ML-DSA support in AD CS requires Windows Server 2025 with the May 2026 security update (KB5087539) or later, and Microsoft’s documented ML-DSA CA deployment procedure isn't simply selecting ML-DSA from the traditional Server Manager AD CS configuration wizard.

    Microsoft now supports ML-DSA-44, ML-DSA-65, and ML-DSA-87 for newly deployed Root, Subordinate, Enterprise, and Standalone CAs. It also requires CNG Key Storage Providers; legacy CSPs aren't supported.

    So the fact that the command-line configuration works while the Server Manager wizard doesn't expose ML-DSA doesn't necessarily mean your OS lacks PQC support. Follow Microsoft's dedicated “Configure a certification authority to use ML-DSA” procedure rather than the conventional AD CS wizard.

    Also note that Microsoft explicitly states that an ML-DSA CA must be newly installed; you can't migrate an existing CA in place to ML-DSA.

    References:

    Microsoft - Configure a CA to use ML-DSA

    Microsoft - ML-DSA support in AD CS

    So don't troubleshoot the missing Server Manager selection as a cryptographic-provider failure yet. If Microsoft's documented ML-DSA command-line procedure succeeds, the underlying platform support is present; the GUI simply may not expose the new PQC configuration path.

    Help make this community better for everyone: if this answer resolved your issue, please accept it or upvote it. If not, share more details in a comment so we can continue the discussion and find the right solution.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Tadeáš Janků 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-03T11:58:41.5633333+00:00

    Hello, I did a reainstalation and it suddenly shows the ML-DSA key as an option. I am not sure why it didn't work but thank you for your help.

    But I'd like to ask you one more question. As you can see in the picture, I can create ECDSA and RSA key within an nShield HSM, but this isn't an option for ML-DSA key. Why is it? And is it possible to have a PQ key inside a HSM? Thanky you for your answer.

    Kind regards, Tadeáš Janků

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.