How to limit refresh data while refreshing in PowerBI

Syed Uzair 0 Reputation points
2026-08-27T11:21:50.9333333+00:00

I want to limit the data refresh while refreshing in On premises PowerBI

User's image

I have this visual for each dashboard that on which data time it was last refreshed, so now when I want to refresh again, I want to refresh the data only after the mentioned date time to avoid too much time taking while refreshing, for now whenever I refresh the dashboard it takes the same time whether last refresh was an hour ago or a year ago

Please guide how can I achieve this.

SQL Server Analysis Services
SQL Server Analysis Services

A Microsoft online analytical data engine used in decision support and business analytics, providing the analytical data for business reports and client applications such as Power BI, Excel, Reporting Services reports, and other data visualization tools.

0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deepesh Dhake 1,245 Reputation points
    2026-09-04T16:50:13.0533333+00:00

    Use incremental refresh:

    Create two Date/Time parameters named exactly RangeStart and RangeEnd.

    Filter your fact table's datetime column: ≥ RangeStart and < RangeEnd.

    Right-click table then Incremental refresh then set archive window (e.g.5 years) and refresh window (e.g.3 days).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Erland Sommarskog 137.9K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-08-27T12:16:00.87+00:00

    From where are retrieving the data? An SQL Server database? I will assume the latter (since that is the environment I'm familiar with).

    It is not as simple as it may sound. First of all, there must be a way to safely discern changes in the tables you are reading from. That is, there must be a rowversion column or something like a LastUpdated. rowversion is not that very common, but since such columns are maintained by the engine, they are more reliable. A LastUpdated column requires that all code that touches the row explicitly updates the column, and this includes manual updates.

    There are also special feature to help you retrieve changes such Change Data Capture and Change Tracking. They can be very helpful, but they also take time to set up and learn.

    Another challenge is that updates may occur when you are reading, and depending on how you retrieve your high-water marks, you may fail to get some of those updates.

    Yet an issue is that if you make a partial refresh of the data, you may need to recalculate aggregations etc.

    So it is not exactly a small project.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.