Defender Antivirus "turned off"

kirbster 1 125 Reputation points
2026-07-25T13:27:00.0666667+00:00

Windows 11 25H2 26200.8968 Release Preview

I keep getting notifications that Defender Antivirus is turned OFF. Every last toggle in Defender settings is toggled on, I get Antivirus updates, am able to run scans but I keep getting the notification window that Antivirus if off. I have notifications "toggled off" but still get the antivirus off notifications.

This is happening on a 2 day old Clean Install of Windows 11.

Any ideas why this is happening?antivirusoff

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Security, privacy, and accounts
0 comments No comments

7 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Johnny55 5,235 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-14T02:33:31.4333333+00:00

    Another problem affects Microsoft Defender on all platforms, i.e. Windows and Windows Server. This is because you may see notifications saying that "Microsoft Defender Antivirus is disabled" even though the antivirus is working properly and showing as active in all settings. "These notifications can appear sporadically when Windows starts and after. They persist even if the notification settings are disabled."

    It is interesting to note that despite the same update, not everyone is affected. Here, too, Microsoft is working on a solution, which will then be fixed with an upcoming Defender update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. CrazyKats 20,005 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-13T20:55:25.0266667+00:00

    Hi Kriller,

    This is a Known issue and is purely

    cosmetic. It is really On.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Will F 5 Reputation points
    2026-08-16T17:51:35.37+00:00

    Seeing exact same symptoms for Defender Antivirus showing as off, but all the toggles showing as running (and I can use the right click context menu in Explorer to initiate an on-demand scan, so I know it's not all broken). I have no other antivirus installed, and I am not enrolled in insider; currently running the August 2026 normal update (build 26200.9168). Microsoft Defender Antivirus service was not showing up in Services.msc, either.

    I ran Get-MpComputerStatus as suggested above and all three responded as if they were running. After running Get-MpComputer Status for the AV services, sfc /scannow, and the DISM check (no issues identified for either of the latter), the Defender AV Network service, Defender AV service, and Defender Core service all show up in Services.msc. I still have "Microsoft Defender Antivirus is turned off", but at least the services show up as running.

    Whatever is causing this issue is not just for release preview builds, but I appreciate the alternative method to confirm that things are running via PowerShell.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

  4. Evan 10 Reputation points
    2026-08-14T09:38:03.88+00:00

    I'm seeing this on a normal build.

    Apart from that warning it all looks fine, PS reports it's all enabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. CrazyKats 20,005 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-07-29T16:27:44.7466667+00:00

    Just wondering if either of the posters have a second AV

    that could be turning it Off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.