Unable to Set Desktop Wallpaper – Background Always Stays Black on Genuine Activated Windows 11

Manan 0 Reputation points
2026-07-11T08:15:13.2266667+00:00

Hello,

I am facing an issue with my Windows PC. I have a genuine licensed and activated copy of Windows 11, but I am unable to set any desktop wallpaper.

Whenever I select any image as my desktop background (from Settings > Personalization > Background or by right clicking an image and selecting "Set as desktop background"), the wallpaper does not appear. Instead, the desktop always remains completely black.

What I have already checked:

  • Windows is activated with a genuine license.
  • I have tried multiple JPG and PNG images.
  • I have restarted the PC several times.
  • I have tried changing the wallpaper through the Personalization settings as well as from File Explorer.
  • The issue still persists.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what could be causing this issue and how to fix it.

If additional information is needed, I can provide:

  • Windows version and build number
  • Screenshots
  • System specifications

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Erik Moreau 2,061 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-07-11T08:33:42.3666667+00:00

    Hi Manan,

    Running this command in terminal will reset the most common causes of this issue and restart explorer (your taskbar will temporarily disappear and return)

    (to open terminal press Windows Key + X and select terminal, copy the code, paste it in the terminal & press enter)

    Stop-Process -Name explorer -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue; `

    Remove-Item "$env:APPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper*" -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue; `

    Remove-Item "$env:APPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles\*" -Force -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue; `

    Set-ItemProperty "HKCU:\Control Panel\Desktop" WallpaperStyle 10; `

    Set-ItemProperty "HKCU:\Control Panel\Desktop" TileWallpaper 0; `

    rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters; `

    Start-Process explorer.exe

    after this you should be able to see or set you wallpaper

    Hope this helps,

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.