Windows indexing rebuilding nonstop

Alexandre Silva 20 Reputation points
2026-04-07T09:06:31.1+00:00

Hey,

I've been having this problem. My PC is always indexing and at some point goes back to the begining.

The only locations I have in indexing are Outlook, Dropbox and start menu.

I thought it would be because of .pst or .ost large files and I tried repairing and compacting the files but the problem continues.

Whenever I try to add a new location for indexing it starts over and I don't think it's the expected outcome.

Any advice in this situation is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Windows for business | Windows 365 Business

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
VPHAN 44,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-04-14T14:45:45.7233333+00:00

Alexandre Silva Those file sizes are absolutely the root cause of your ongoing indexing loop. You are dealing with roughly ninety gigabytes of mail data, and because you are running the 32-bit version of Office, the search protocol handler is restricted to a strict two-gigabyte memory limit. When Windows Search attempts to scan and map that massive volume of information, the 32-bit background process completely exhausts its available memory, crashes, and forces the indexer to restart from the beginning. Disabling the Windows service works temporarily because it forces Outlook to bypass the operating system and rely on its own slower, built-in query mechanism, but it does not solve the underlying architectural bottleneck.

To resolve this issue while keeping Windows Search fully enabled, the most effective solution is to uninstall your 32-bit Office suite and install the 64-bit version. The 64-bit architecture removes this memory ceiling, allowing the search handler to easily process massive data files without crashing. If migrating to 64-bit Office is not an option for you right now, you must significantly reduce the amount of data the indexer is forced to read. You can accomplish this by opening your Outlook Account Settings, double-clicking your email accounts, and adjusting the offline cache slider down to six months or one year. This will force Outlook to shrink those massive data files to a manageable size that your 32-bit indexer can process without running out of memory.

Hope this helps :)

VP

Was this answer helpful?

Answer recommended by moderator
Alexandre Silva 20 Reputation points
2026-04-14T15:03:21.33+00:00

Unfortunately switching to a 64-bit office instalation is not possible because of an internal software (PHC) that only allows communication with office via 32-bit installation.

So for now the only solution, is to reduce the offline data cache.@VPHAN thank you for your nonstop efforts to help me with these problem.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

6 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Alexandre Silva 20 Reputation points
    2026-04-14T14:17:03.8966667+00:00

    Hi there @VPHAN ,

    I tried repairing the data files with SCANPST.exe multiple times but the indexing restarts at some point. Is it possible, the problem is the size of the data files. In this machine, I have 1 pst (15 gb approximately) and 3 ost (25 gb each approximately). Could it be the problem?

    One alterntive I found, was disabling windows search service. It's not best performancewise but it manages to return results somehow.

    However I need to fix this and enable windows indexing again.

    If you have any more advice, I appreciate it.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. VPHAN 44,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-04-10T14:25:16.86+00:00

    Hi Alexandre Silva,

    How is your issue going? Has it been resolved yet? If it has, please consider accepting the answer as it helps others sharing the same problem benefit too. Thank you :)

    VP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Alexandre Silva 20 Reputation points
    2026-04-08T08:41:59.69+00:00

    Hi there,

    Thanks for your help.

    I forgot to mention but the Office version I have installed is 32-bit. If you have any guidelines in this case, I appreciate it.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments