Here is the answer. Delete Custom Scale. See picture above. This fixed it for me.
Snipping Tool 3 dots not working anymore.
I like to use the snipping tool.
It use to work well. However the 3 dots as I recall opened various settings. For exmaple you could look were the snips were stored as I recall and other things.
However now the 3 dots does nothing. Like its dead.
As others have had the same issue. I have done the following.
Actions that I have attempted are
- Re-launch the software
- Repair and reset the software
- Reinstall the software
- Using powershell done below.
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.ScreenSketch | Reset-AppxPackage
Windows Feature Experience pack is as follows.
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 25H2
Installed on 2025-10-27
OS build 26200.7840
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.26100.291.0
I have tried to troubleshoot but it appears my computer does not have the option to troubleshoot the Microsoft store. Which appears to be another issue that people have. Although I can delete and reinstall programs via the MS store. So seems to work. I don't want to create a new user etc. As I have no idea what that will do. I tried to log on in safe mode. After putting in my bit locker key then I get the login screen that says "Need to set up a key again" but when I press this a screen pops up and immediately closes. So cant login on safe mode despite having bitlocker key. Another issue I will have to look into. As if at any time In need to do safe mode, I cant . it seems. Anyway I cant get into safe mode to see if any other program is interfering.
Computer is 1 month old Intel core Ultra 7 (home or some home type version) Aspire 14 AI.
I really like the Snipping tool its great. Really like to get it working again.
Thanks.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
1 additional answer
Sort by: Oldest
-
AI answer
2026-02-16T17:07:28.3566667+00:00 It sounds like you're experiencing a frustrating issue with the Snipping Tool where the three dots (menu) are unresponsive. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:
- Check for Updates: Ensure that your Windows 11 and the Snipping Tool app are fully updated. Sometimes, updates can fix bugs and improve functionality.
- Run Windows Troubleshooter: If you can access the settings, try running the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter. This can help identify and fix issues with apps from the Microsoft Store.
- Reset the Snipping Tool: Since you've already attempted to reset the app via PowerShell, ensure that you are using the correct command. You can also try to reset it through the app settings:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
- Find Snipping Tool, click on it, and select Advanced options. Then click on Reset.
- Check Permissions: Sometimes, app permissions can affect functionality. Ensure that the Snipping Tool has the necessary permissions to operate correctly.
- Create a New User Account: If the issue persists, consider creating a new user account to see if the problem is user-specific. This can help isolate the issue.
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth checking online forums or Microsoft's support for any known issues with the Snipping Tool in your version of Windows 11.
References:
AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.