excel auto refresh

Richard 0 Reputation points
2025-12-18T14:06:41.83+00:00

I renewed my subscription to Microsoft 365 on or about 4 December 2025 but Excel does not have the facility to auto refresh a pivot table.

From research I understand that this facility was built into 365 between July & November, so why doesn't the software that I have paid for and downloaded include the auto refresh facility?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | MacOS

7 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.8K Reputation points
    2025-12-31T16:14:05.8133333+00:00

    Unfortunately I'm not sure what else to suggest other than pointing you to this Microsoft blog post:

    Keep data updated with PivotTable Auto Refresh in Excel

    Perhaps something there will be useful, especially in the Tips & Tricks section.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Richard 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-19T08:56:35.94+00:00

    Pivot Table Options

    I have just seen the attached - the auto refresh is 'greyed out' so how can I get that to be a selection?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Richard 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-19T08:40:47.33+00:00

    I am an 'ancient' amateur user of Excel etc but am not in the category that understands all the tech jargon!

    Mention of Insider/Beta builds like Windows 2506 (19008.2000+) or Mac 16.99+ and Current Channel leaves me in no doubt that I am out of my depth!

    The only version number I can find is what I have already provided. The pivot table I created uses a table in the workbook, not from external source.

    It would seem the best course of action for me, is no action, and have wait until Microsoft can accept that there is a gap in their system/software which must affect a lot of users that are in my position.

    I should not blame others for my inadequacies but if you do have a line to Microsoft that can understand my frustration and convince them to update their basic package so that normal people can use the 'auto refresh' facilities, I would appreciate that

    I don't want to give up but thanks you Bob and Aron for trying to help me so far.

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Anonymous
    2025-12-18T19:30:50.8033333+00:00

    I get what you’re running into.

    Auto Refresh for PivotTables was added in mid-2025 but it’s still rolling out, and right now it only works on Insider/Beta builds like Windows 2506 (19008.2000+) or Mac 16.99+.

    Renewing your subscription doesn’t change your update channel, so if you’re on the Current Channel, the feature won’t appear yet.

    For now, you can enable “Refresh data when opening the file” in PivotTable Options, make sure the source is an Excel Table, and confirm calculation isn’t set to Manual.

    What version and channel do your Excel show, and is your PivotTable linked to an external source or just a table in the workbook?

    Regards,
    Aron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Richard 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-18T18:31:50.37+00:00

    Thanks again.

    Belongs to : my personal email address ie I use/registered it for personal use.

    Last started when upgraded to Mac version MacOS Tahoe 26.2 so have therefore restarted but no change. Viewed on full screen, so unless hidden in some other heading, still not visible.

    File is saved in current file .xlsx.

    Am at a loss as to what else can be done??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.