Unable to connect to SSAS 2025 via SSMS

Chris Mara 30 Reputation points
2025-11-19T18:25:25.3566667+00:00

I have installed SSAS 2025 in MOLAP mode. I installed SQL 2025 Developer Standard. The service is up and running. Port is open. My user is SSAS administrator. Using SSMS 22, 21 and even 20 I get the following error:

"Invalid connection information to establish the server connection. Please check your connection string".

I have tried on both local server and remote. Profiler will connect and when I have that running and try to connect via SSMS I get the following:

"Errors from the SQL query module: The current edition 'StandardDeveloper64' of the target SQL Server Analysis Services instance is not supported by the client. Please update your client libraries to the latest available version."

I installed latest client libraries...17.0.9023

Thru Profiler connection I am just entering in the server name and it connects fine. Not a named instance. In SSMS, I only use the server name.....exactly as done with Profiler.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

SQL Server Analysis Services
SQL Server Analysis Services

A Microsoft online analytical data engine used in decision support and business analytics, providing the analytical data for business reports and client applications such as Power BI, Excel, Reporting Services reports, and other data visualization tools.


8 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. suresh kurapati 0 Reputation points
    2026-03-31T20:19:41.16+00:00

    We installed SQL Sever Std. Dev edition and installed CU3 too . We still run into same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Christopher Hähnel 21 Reputation points
    2026-02-04T08:34:30.7033333+00:00

    EDIT: I did an edition upgrade from standard dev to enterprise dev as mentioned above. I then rerun the VS-SSMS-installer and deselected BI-Workload. After that I managed to connect to the SSAS-Instance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Kenneth Frese 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-07T14:14:48.56+00:00

    I confirmed the same bug as you other did and submitted it as a bug on the Azure feedback site

    https://feedback.azure.com/d365community/idea/1e1eda5c-baeb-f011-92b9-000d3a057238

    Please vote it up at the above link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Franz Ladurner 10 Reputation points
    2025-12-19T07:12:30.7366667+00:00

    I had the same problem (got the error when connecting from SSMS 22 and Visual Studio 2026), and it seems that it's related to the Edition. I think there is an issue/bug with the new "Standard Developer" Edition, which isn't supported by the client libraries yet. So I installed another SSAS instance using "Evalutation" edition, and it works perfectly (same for "Standard" edition).

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  5. Frank D 0 Reputation points
    2025-12-02T05:10:20.5766667+00:00

    Also having the same issue with SSMS22 and SQL Server 2025 and SSAS.
    We have spun up SQL Server 2022 and SSAS and are able to connect without any issues from the same workstation running SSMS22.

    Looks like an application drivers mismatch between SSAS and SSMS, but can't find the right ones.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.