How to deal with persistent junk email

Stephanie Subocz 20 Reputation points
2025-10-10T23:12:18.94+00:00

I am getting hundreds of emails from spam users pretending to be from google maps for a custom map. Should I block all the senders which puts the emails directly into trash? Is there a way to automatically delete these type of emails meaning bypassing trash? If email is marked as “junk” will it automatically move to trash after a certain amount of time or will it be deleted? I’m being inundated- please help! I’d love to be able to set up email rules to assist. Thanks.

Exchange Online
Exchange Online

A cloud-based service included in Microsoft 365, delivering scalable messaging and collaboration features with simplified management and automatic updates.

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jack-Bu 6,955 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2025-10-11T10:53:40.7866667+00:00

Hi Stephanie Subocz

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Support regarding the influx of spam emails you're experiencing. I understand how irritating that must be. To better assist you, could you let me know if this is a personal Outlook account or a business one (like through Microsoft 365)?

In the meantime, I'll walk you through some simple steps to block, filter, and auto-handle them Outlook.

  1. Blocking Senders:
    • Blocking moves future emails from that sender to the Junk Email folder (not directly to Deleted Items). It's useful for repeats but ineffective for varied addresses.
    • How to: Open a spam email, click the three dots (...) > Junk > Block sender.
    • Manage blocks: Settings > Mail > Junk email > Blocked senders and domains.
  2. Automatic Deletion:
    • Outlook requires deleted emails to go through Deleted Items first, no full bypass for safety.
    • Use rules to auto-delete (move to Deleted Items). Emails in Deleted Items auto-delete permanently after 30 days.
    • Junk emails auto-delete after 10-30 days without moving to Deleted Items.
  3. Behavior of Junk Emails:
    • Marked as junk? They go to the Junk Email folder and auto-delete after 30 days (typically).
    • This trains the filter; report a few via the Junk menu to improve detection.
  4. Setting Up Inbox Rules:
    • Rules catch patterns like "custom map" in subject/body.
    • Steps:
    • Settings > View all Outlook settings > Mail > Rules > Add new rule.
    • Condition: "Subject or body contains" > Enter phrases (like "custom map").
    • Action: "Delete" (to Deleted Items) or "Move to Junk Email."
    • Add exceptions for legit emails.
    • Save and test with "Run now."

I hope you'll get the situation resolve. If you have any additional concern, feel free to comment below. I be more than happy to assist.  


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".      

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

Was this answer helpful?

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest